• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do your Cockatiels go to bath?

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

Just curious, how often do your Cockatiels go to bath?
Anyone, doing it daily since this breed has lots of birth dust?

I observed that the birds don't really bathe themselves thoroughly especially their tops.
Hence, I have to use shower head with luke warm water to bathe them while avoiding the crest area.
They seem to enjoy it and would just stay there quietly for the shower.

Regards,

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiels never give themselves baths. I try to mist them every week or so.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Mine won’t bathe himself in a dish of water (I don’t think he knows how) so I use a spray bottle to give him a mist bath a few times a week, or every day in the summer when I know he won’t get cold.
He puts his wings out, rubs his head on the wet perch, flaps around in the spray, turns so I can get the other side. It’s very cute :heart:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I offer a shallow dish of water every day but Mimi really only wades in once a week, twice at most.

She’ll dip around in it for awhile but once she puts her wings up, I’ll get the mist bottle going which she highly approves of. ;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe once a week, but sometimes even less than that, my birds will be interested in getting misted. Sometimes they will take a bath in their water bowl. My vet told me that it was okay to get them drenched, and to bathe them as much as they want. The biggest benefit to bathing is it increases their humidity and helps their sinuses. The dust on their feathers is not an issue for them, and and is actually a sign of a healthy bird.

marioivy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mario
Mine also kind of go away from baths, they just try to walk away from being sprayed :laughing2: :laughing2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatiels are desert birds and do not naturally bathe that often. They'd rather have a dirt bath and make lots of dust.

Bathing your bird will not decrease the dust. The moment the bird is dry the dust will be there also. A dusty bird is a healthy bird.