• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do you take your macaw outside?

Duel

Walking the driveway
I don't own a macaw (though I hope to own one someday) but the other day I was walking in the streets of Orlando, FL and saw this man walking around with an adult scarlet and blue and gold macaw on both of his shoulders. I went up to him and asked him if they were flighted and he then commanded them to fly to the top of a street light and back which was amazing. The he had one go down to his arm and told me to pet it. The macaw put it's head down as though it was asking me to pet it's which surprised me since I own a lovebird that only lets me pet him and no one else though he'll tolerate my brother picking him up and having him step up (I hand fed him at 3 months old). This man clearly mastered how to train a bird since he can walk with his birds outside without worrying about them flying away and for them to let strangers pet them. Do you guys take your macaws out often? How hard is it to train them so you can take them outside?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unless we are dedicated "Free Flyers", the great majority of us never take our birds outside without a harness and line on them. Parrots are not easy to train to free fly and it generally takes years. No one should try to teach free flying without expert help.

This man you saw probably has all of the time and inclination to teach his birds - not things that many owners have.

My bird (GW Macaw) goes outside almost every day - in a harness. I fly her on a long line with a harness.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Macaw goes outside weather permitting. He either goes out with me on my arm or in his aviary. He likes going outside a lot. He does not have his wings clipped but he physically cannot fly. I'm the only one that is allowed to touch his highness. I think the only training that goes on here is; my bird has taught me to do whatever he wants! :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I take Burt outside whenever I can whether it’s in his carrier or on his harness.
Lately he hasn’t been out as much as I would like as it’s too dangerous unless he is in his carrier which is not as enjoyable for either of us. We have many birds of prey his size and bigger continuously circling above our yard as we have a massive paddock behind our house full of yummy small animals for the birds of prey.
I am considering putting one of his double macaw cages outside under our veranda so he can enjoy the sunshine as my outdoor aviary would be easy for him to bust the wire on so that is no good for him.
He is fully in control of who he lets touch him and I am more than happy with that. I don’t need him to be fully accepting of strangers touching him as I feel it could be a danger for him and possibly even for the stranger so I find it easier to allow him to decide who he wants touching and interacting with him.
Sounds like you had a wonderful experience and what a bonus that the bird wanted you to pat him :)

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I will take Frankie outside in my yard on my shoulder. He loves getting fresh air, and will sit on my shoulder when we go for a car ride.
He will say hello to people and wave, but he will not let anyone but myself or hubby touch him.

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
Like Karen I am also the only one to serve my Captain flapjack...it seems because his feather munchies and inability to fly he cannot. When we go into town I use his harness to prevent him from being spooked into traffic but in the yard we go out anytime the weather is nice.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Blu goes outside daily if I'm home. He gets his harness on and then he helps me take Cocoa (Shih Tzu poodle mix) outside to potty. If I'm working outside and the weather is nice I put him in his travel cage and let him supervise. We have been practicing recall inside and with the harness outside. I'm not comfortable letting him free fly at this point (if ever). Blu only lets me, our avian vet, my wife and one granddaughter handle him. He does go to Tractor Supply and the pet store with us. He's quick to let people know he doesn't want to be touched. I've started carrying wooden tongue depressors in my pocket (wife's a nurse). When people ask if he bites, I hold out a tongue depressor and let Blu snap it in two. When you follow that up with "Imagine what he could do to a finger" nobody wants to pet him anymore.