• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do you give your GRATE a *good* cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once a week.:D I don't have time to do a thorough washing more than once week.

How about you guys?:)

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Maybe every two weeks as the grate is covered in layers of paper it doesn't really get dirty.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I give it a wipe down if I see accumulating poopies during the week, but yeah Saemma, I get out the bucket and the bristle brush and I scrub down all the grates here once a week. The conures are known for dropping their "morning bombs" in their cage, and with the way the bar-spacing is situated in their cages, it can accumulate pretty quickly and not pass through the bars to the paper below.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
no set schedule, they are covered with paper, so it depends on which cage it is in

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
every time i wash the cages - so weekly

Like i've stated before I'm unable to put paper on grates,because of my female birds, the only one that does have paper on grates are my ringnecks, Kaycee is a male so no issues there, A.C. only sleeps in her cage and she goes straight to bed when put in at night, and is in the same spot I left her the night before when I let her out in the morning.. She doesn't even eat in her cage any more LOL

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I was doing it every morning. But... then I decided to try papers on the grate... so that helps keep the poop off the grate. But I still clean papers daily.:p So Im not sure if I added more work or not.:o:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Covered with paper here, too, so only occasionally when it needs it. Paper gets changed every day. :D

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I was doing it every morning. But... then I decided to try papers on the grate... so that helps keep the poop off the grate. But I still clean papers daily.:p So Im not sure if I added more work or not.:o:
IMO, you saved yourself work - it is easier to pull a layer of paper than clean poop off the grate - even if it is less than a day old :cool1:

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Simon will shred paper if he can get to it so the grate has to stay bare. But when I do a full cage clean it gets cleaned - so around once a week

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Never:laughing12:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Once a week. My guys fling food so if I were to layer papers on the grate, I'd still have to deal with the food and the fruit flies. All cages get dismantled once a week and washed in the tub. Big ones get steam cleaned.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have grates in three cages (well four if you count Nani's double. lol) I cover them with paper, so I clean grates as needed.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
The lovies every 2-3 days. Chewy's once a week. I don't use grates in K&S and Peaches' cages.

The other three cages get cleaned by my mom and sister, so whenever they decide to clean them I guess!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once a week, sometimes more often for the big girls if I have company coming over. Paper on grates here would be shredded immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.