• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do you change around your cage??

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Hello!!

How often do you change around your cage? and when you change it do you move all the perches too? I feel like they are in pretty good places right now and don’t know that moving them is the best idea (Plus some are big and not many places to put them)
Or do you just swap out toys or do you only move around the toys already in there, maybe a little of both?? Lol!! He does have some favorites I’m afraid to remove or even move but there are things he hasn’t used yet and maybe if I move stuff around he might be inclined to try it out.. :shrug3:

Mostly now he’s been getting used to everything and I’ve been adding things in as I get them but I was curious to see what other people do for future reference :)

Thanks!!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep perches, swings & certain hanging toys in the same places. I often hang new stuff on the sides of their cages at various levels. Of course foot toys get tossed in. My CAG would freak if I changed anything in her cage.

LovieLouie

I keep perches, swings & certain hanging toys in the same places. I often hang new stuff on the sides of their cages at various levels. Of course foot toys get tossed in. My CAG would freak if I changed anything in her cage.
Lol!! My sister in law has an African grey and she’s the same doesn’t like change or new things if I remember correctly.
Thanks so much!!

LovieLouie

I generally just swap stuff around once I've found a set up that works :) every few weeks or as needed.
So you leave some stuff in the same place and basically change up toys then...?
thanks!! :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My cage setups are redone fully every month or so but some larger items (boings, swings.) really can only go a couple places, so I know what you mean! Once you find an ideal set-up it’s really quite hard to find another.

I swap in different toys or change current ones around weekly. Another factor for me is my cockatiel Mimi, if she’s up in her hormones I swap her environment up twice as often to discourage excessive hormones.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yeah, it doesn't really matter. If you feel the perches can't move, that's fine. I move the toys and add new ones every week, move perches every month. Just do what works for you!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I usually do a deep clean of all the cages and perches about 2 times a month and usually change things up then and rearrange perches and toys. They often get new toys added in weekly though too, and if one of the toys gets torn up I add a new one in.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So you leave some stuff in the same place and basically change up toys then...?
thanks!! :)
So I do a couple things. i take out perches and put new (clean) ones in their place. This is done as needed.

I move toys around to different spots, both inside the cage and out in the play area. I retire whatever is destroyed or hasn't been played with in a few rotations. Then I add in toys to replace the ones I've removed. Toys usually get rotated a few times around before I put them away for a while (this mostly applies to foraging toys or other durable toys as the rest don't last that long usually :lol: )

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't like moving perches around for the smaller parrots too often unless it's for seasonal reasons. So mine only get moved in spring when I break the whole cage down for a steam jet wash.
Toys get rotated weekly, firstly to give them some variety and secondly so I can have a good look and throw any toys that are in a bad condition.
Food and water are always in the same places.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I used to change up everything once a week but then as time went by we ended up with one aviary, one large travel cage, one living room cage and a sleeping cage so now I only change everything once a month but Astro goes into different things everyday.

LovieLouie

This is all super helpful!! Thanks so much for all your responses :D:heart:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
For dealing with paper, I go the super-lazy route. I put down a thick stack of 12-15 layers of newspaper in cages, on stands, etc. That way I can just "clean" daily by discarding the top few pieces (however far the mess has penetrated). When I run out of paper, that's my cue to do a deep cleaning of that location before I add a fresh stack. (The stack lasts about a week).

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hello!!

How often do you change around your cage? and when you change it do you move all the perches too? I feel like they are in pretty good places right now and don’t know that moving them is the best idea (Plus some are big and not many places to put them)
Or do you just swap out toys or do you only move around the toys already in there, maybe a little of both?? Lol!! He does have some favorites I’m afraid to remove or even move but there are things he hasn’t used yet and maybe if I move stuff around he might be inclined to try it out.. :shrug3:

Mostly now he’s been getting used to everything and I’ve been adding things in as I get them but I was curious to see what other people do for future reference :)

Thanks!!
Kiwi has a specific bottle branch perch that she will refuse to sleep if I move it, so that stays put! Yesterday I swapped out her big rope perch that stretched from bowl to bowl that she's had in since august, to a few scattered wooden perches to see how she likes it! Toys are swapped out every few weeks of course, but I'll keep her favourites in and just move them around:)

TheBirds

Toys get swapped out once or twice a week!

I’d like to change perches around just as often but there’s only so many possible configurations before you find yourself fighting a losing battle :laugh:

redindiaink

Avenue Veteran
Some of my birds are disabled and their set ups work really well so I don't mess with them too much. For the others, I usually leave the perches and food dish placement alone, but switch everything else up every so often.

I had to replace the perch in one cage and the diameter was ever so slightly smaller than the one I was replacing. Ms T refused to go anywhere near her new perch, and instead clung to the cage wall sideways to eat. She was so scared of it I had to pull it. I swapped it with one of BMans and a few days later she was happily using it in his cage. BMan panics if you move his perches even if it's just lifting them up to give everything a good scrub. I knew CAGs could be neophobic, but *whistles*

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I mostly leave perches alone, unless for some reason I want them to use a specific perch more, then I’ll put it the highest. As for toys, I rotate more than I buy new ones, and kind of just do it when they seem bored.