• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often do budgies eat?

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
How often do budgies eat? I searched up this question online and didn’t get a real answer. What came up was something like you should give them a bowl of food and change it every day. What I actually wanna know is every how many minutes do they go for some food. I know that they have a high metabolism and so need to eat often.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Birds don't generally have a specific time when they will eat food. In the wild, they forage the whole day, so eating time and quantity is not known. Birds are still wild, so the wild instincts, and that's the reason you won't get any info online.
Any reason why you ask?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
One of mine eats more or less constantly. I fear he's becoming a bit pudgie. :xflove:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Somewhere between 3 and 900. :lol:

It depends on the bird and the food I would think, as some food will be digested quicker.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
One of mine eats more or less constantly. I fear he's becoming a bit pudgie. :xflove:
If you're worried about him becoming overweight, I'd monitor his weight, to see if you need to worry about it or not. If he is getting a good variety of fresh foods, pellets, and seeds, and is getting enough exercise, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Good luck!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
My parakeets eat any time they are not singing, playing, chewing, or sleeping.

I provide them pellets at all times and feed fresh foods and forage items once or twice a day.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He’s not, Bookwyrm. He won’t touch anything but seeds. And I have to be careful. Pistachio shares his cage & he’s a small budgie.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
They don't have a set schedule. They just eat whenever they feel hungry.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Interesting question, and one that I certainly don't have an answer, but I am thinking mine hop to their food dishes at least once an hour when they are awake. I've not really thought about this until you brought it up.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This really depends on the time of day. There are some times when they're more interested in vocalizing, preening, flying or playing. Mine don't eat at consistent intervals.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
And how often do they get hungry? What I’m trying to find out (out of interest) is how often they decide to eat. For example every 10 minutes or every 30 minites etc. @ParrotNuts @Sparkles99 @Destiny
This really depends on the time of day. There are some times when they're more interested in vocalizing, preening, flying or playing. Mine don't eat at consistent intervals.
Yes, just like what @Destiny said, depends on a lot of factors. How much exercise they have done, what they have eaten before, species etc........ One thing you might do is to check how often they come to eat for a specified time daily, and then do it for a few days and average it out. Its the best you can do :shrug:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This.

The closest I have to bird "meal times" is with my Quaker, Gus. He's a bit of a velcro bird, and when I'm around, he sometimes forgets to eat, and then gets all grumpy because he's hungry. When I can tell he needs to eat, I'll shut him in his cage for a few minutes, at which point, he'll be like "oh yeah! I have food!" and stuff his face.

Even that, though, doesn't give me a good idea of "standard" food intervals, because he doesn't eat the same amount at every meal. He also dunks his pellets in his water bowl and there's a lot of waste, so it's really hard to tell how much ends up in his belly vs. drifting in the water bowl or turned into dust and crumbled on the floor of the cage.

I don't watch the clock or his food intake - I watch his poop. When I notice his poop getting small, I know he's overdue for a snack.

If you're concerned about your bird being overweight, the best solution is to make him work for his food. This can be as simple as putting food at one end of the room and water at the other so they have to fly between the two. Of course, foraging toys are the gold standard for using food to encourage physical and mental exercise.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Mine probably grabs a snack every hour or so, and then eats a ton at night (enough to where I can see his crop is full).
when he’s grabbing a snack he only eats a few pellets at a time, he never eats until he’s full until it’s almost time for him to sleep

Dorcas George

Mine eat quite frequently, but they seem to just have a few bites before getting distracted by a toy/a noise/a random object/a shadow/each other.
Ditto for mine. Sometimes it’s a quick bite and then off to something else. Other times they eat for a few minutes. They eat more in the AM but that makes sense. They get pellets anytime. I give a little dish of chop or I hang greens in AM. Seeds get offered in the evening.

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Mine eat just about all the time