• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How often can I give cilantro with seeds?

FurFeather

Moving in
Hi everyone, I had a question about 2 picky eaters. Since we’re on lockdown for a bit I am unable to buy the regular seed mix that my two cockatiels eat, but thankfully I have a backup mix incase of seed scarcity. However, they only eat the sunflower seeds out of that mix, so I have started adding little bits of cilantro with the sunflower seeds (till I can re-order their regular seed mix). My Q is, how often can I give them cilantro? Like can I give a little bit everyday? (I’ve also tried other leafy veges but they just pick it up and throw it out of the plate)

thank you :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the only food your birds eat is seed you may wish to try to convert them to a much better healthy diet for the sake of their health.
I am not really sure about what cilantro has in it for your birds but even if it is a great healthy fresh food, feeding that one food alone will certainly leave your birds with serious health issues.

@Mizzely might know about cilantro and she might also hopefully give you some better recommendations for a more rounded diet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cilantro is fine given as part of the diet daily. It is recommended as a dark leafy green for smaller species as they tend to eat it better than Kale, etc. Parsley is another that usually goes over well.

That being said, cilantro and sunflower seeds is definitely not a complete diet. Sunflower seeds are quite fatty - as a portion of the diet they are useful but as the cornerstone you risk a lot of vitamin deficiencies, fatty liver, and heart disease.

Can you order food online?

FurFeather

Moving in
Cilantro is fine given as part of the diet daily. It is recommended as a dark leafy green for smaller species as they tend to eat it better than Kale, etc. Parsley is another that usually goes over well.

That being said, cilantro and sunflower seeds is definitely not a complete diet. Sunflower seeds are quite fatty - as a portion of the diet they are useful but as the cornerstone you risk a lot of vitamin deficiencies, fatty liver, and heart disease.

Can you order food online?
I know they’re pretty fatty and I try giving more Of the other seeds from the mix each day but they don’t eat any of that. I normally order their regular mix online but amazon isn’t delivering to my location right now and probably won’t till lockdown is lifted

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What food is it? Perhaps we can help you track it?

FurFeather

Moving in
What food is it? Perhaps we can help you track it?
I usually order the cockatiel seed mix by ‘The Birds Co.’ on amazon. I keep checking every other day if they are available yet to order but they aren’t. I ordered another brand of seed mix today, sadly the only one available and I’m gonna have to wait till May 14th to have it delivered

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried a pellet at all? Or a multivitamin? Even if they are eating all the seeds, a seed + cilantro diet is still not complete.

Can you link the seed mix?

FurFeather

Moving in
Have you tried a pellet at all? Or a multivitamin? Even if they are eating all the seeds, a seed + cilantro diet is still not complete.

Can you link the seed mix?
the vet has prescribed a multivitamin drop that gets added to their water daily so they’ve been on that for over a month now.