• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How my dog died

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
!WARNING: CONTAINS MENTION OF BLOOD, DEATH, AND MURDER!

On the 1st of July 2020, it was a warm, sunny day outside, so I decided it would be a good idea to take my 11 month old female maltease terrier X toy poodle puppy, Sunny, out for a walk, so we walked along the beach, heading towards the dog park. Sunny was happily prancing along in the sun beside me on her harness and leash, when not too far up a head, there was a woman who was also taking her black greyhound also for a walk, but when she saw me and Sunny aproaching she stood over the top of her greyhound, restraining him. I wasn’t sure why she was restraining the dog but I just continued to walk to the dog park with Sunny. But the closer we got to the woman and her greyhound, the more the greyhound tried to struggle free, until he pushed backwards, breaking free from his owner, collar, and leash. He immediately lunged at poor little Sunny, latching on to her, shaking her aggresivley around in his jaws by her chest. Blood and fur was going everywhere, and Sunny was screaming in pain, a few kind strangers also helped us get Sunny out of the greyhound’s mouth. It took 5 or more people to free Sunny from the greyhound, but after we finally did, the greyhound also attacked my grandpa who was also with me! The vet was only 5 minutes away and since we had no car, we ran Sunny to the vet leaving a trail of blood behind. About halfway to the vet, Sunny stoppped screaming, I thought she just passed out from all the pain cause I didn't want to believe that maybe she had died. After we finnaly got to the vet, a nurse took her and rushed her into the emergency room. After that a different nurse came out and led us to a sepperate room and told us to wait there, I was shaking and crying since I was so worried about her but then after 10 minutes or so a male vet came into the room and told us that the bite had punctured her in the heart and they tried to stop the bleeding but they just couldn’t and that she had died. After hearing this I collapsed to the ground and cried the most I had ever cried in my whole entire life. My heart was more than broken, it was crushed and shattered. I didn’t know what I did to deserve this! All i wanted to do was take my dog for a walk, and it turned out like this?! I knew this would traumatise me for the rest of my life. A few minutes later, after everyone found out about it, all of my friends and family were crying. I received lots of cards, flowers, and gifts. One of my friends even gave me a pillow with Sunny’s face on it! It helped a tiny bit but nothing could really make me feel better… we also received a 4 page long letter from the owner of the dog that killed Sunny that explained how sorry she was and that her dog’s name was ‘Rodney’ and he was a ex-racing greyhound from G.A.P (Greyhound Adoption Program) who spend most of his days locked up in a tiny metal cage and slept on shredded paper. I always hated greyhound racing since it was abusive to the greyhounds but this made me hate it even more. He also was tested with other dogs and passed the ‘green collar test’ and was marked as friendly so he was not asinged to wear a muzzle. By law, since her dog killed my dog the fate of her dog is up to me, Normally most people would request that the dog is put down but honestly, I didn’t see a point since reading her letter and speaking to her on the phone, she sounded like a nice person and she was also traumatized by the experience and is going to the doctor with chest pains and panic attacks! And I just experienced losing my dog and people really think that I'm going to also make her go through the pain of losing her dog?! And even if Rodney is put down what is that gonna do?! Yes it maybe will stop HIM from hurting another dog but it still doesn't stop it from happening with other dogs! and theyre are much kinder ways to stop him from like simply making him wear a muzzle in public so then he can’t hurt any other dogs! So if he is put down it doesn't bring Sunny back to life or fix anything, all it means is another dead dog! So i didn’t ask for Rodney to get put down but I did ask him to wear a muzzle in public so then he can’t hurt any other dogs and also, it wasn’t his fault that he attacked her because he was trained to attack and chase the lure and Sunny looked like the lure so he was basicly just doing what he was trained to do! But legally Rodney’s owner will still have to pay a large fine since here dog killed another dog AND bit a human. A few weeks after it happened I had a zoom call with the C.E.O of greyhound racing because Rodney used to be one of HIS dogs that HIS employees trained.

Losing a pet is always hard but ESSPECIALY when it is in such a gruesome, dramatic way like this. Thank you everyone who has supported me through this depressing, tough time.
Fly high Sunny you will always be in my heart and I know you will be watching over me from heaven, you always were my sweet, beautiful, little angel but know you really really are an angel. I will love you forever no matter what and some day I will join you in heaven, even though you were only with us for a short time, atleast it was a happy time full of love, games, walks, treats, cuddles, and kisses.

FLY HIGH SUNNY 2019 - 2020

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh how traumatic! I’m so very sorry for your loss of sweet Sunny.
:sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I lost my most special dog in a fairly similar way many years ago, it certainly is harder to accept than when you loose them to old age or a humane euthanasia. I am sorry you had to experience that horrible trauma. I think you made the right choice regarding Rodney and I sincerely hope the owner does now muzzle him to take him anywhere and everywhere.
How has your grandpa recovered? Is he ok?

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Ye
I lost my most special dog in a fairly similar way many years ago, it certainly is harder to accept than when you loose them to old age or a humane euthanasia. I am sorry you had to experience that horrible trauma. I think you made the right choice regarding Rodney and I sincerely hope the owner does now muzzle him to take him anywhere and everywhere.
How has your grandpa recovered? Is he ok?
yes he’s okay now...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss Amber. That´s quite the traumatic experience.
You know there are quite a few members of the board here who have lost pets in tragic ways, and if you ever feel sad or want to talk, there will always be someone here to talk to :hug9:

I think you made the right choice regarding Rodney and I sincerely hope the owner does now muzzle him to take him anywhere and everywhere.
I agree. That is a very mature and level-headed choice. I´m sure that lady will muzzle him after such a tragic event.

I´m glad your grandfather is ok!

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
How horrible :sad1: I’m so sorry this had to happen to you.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really sorry that Sunny died in such a horrible way. I'm not surprised that you are so upset.

You made a brave and mature decision about Rodney. You're absolutely right that putting him to sleep won't bring back Sunny, and I think that Sunny's death will change how the greyhound adopton programme assesses dogs. In greyhound racing, the dogs chase a mechanical lure around a track. It's a small, fluffy and meant to look like a rabbit. Greyhounds often have a really high drive to chase anything small and fluffy, which outside the racetrack often means cats and small dogs like Sunny. It's not so much about species than it is about size. Sadly, it's not unusual for a greyhound to be totally fine with medium/large dogs but not safe to be around smaller dogs. I hope that the programme will assess their rescue dogs with small dogs as a result.

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
:sadhug2:Sending you huge hugs, and much love. Sunny was much loved, and in time the tears will turn to smiles at his memory.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my 18 year old parrot 10 months ago. My partner didn't put him back in his cage when he went out and my new rescue lurcher got to him. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement and I am still really struggling to find peace with it all. I had to make a decision as to whether to keep the lurcher. I decided to keep her. Sometimes I struggle to look at her. However, she was found in Ireland starving and pregnant. Yet another product of the racing/coursing industry!! I also have the most gentle, loving ex racing greyhound who wouldn't hurt a fly. The lurcher is also loving but the fact is that these dogs are used to chase and often you cannot get this instinct out of them. If I could go back in time I wouldn't have got her, but I did. I would give anything to have my beloved parrot back.
Yes, Rodney should have had a muzzle on. Yet 'humans' are to blame for training these dogs to chase and kill just for financial gain. When the dogs can no longer 'perform' for them, the dogs are often abandoned, killed inhumanely or sold to laboratories.
In my opinion you were right to spare Rodney's life. However, what you have experienced will take time to come to terms with. Sunny will always be in your heart. My thoughts are with you at this time.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so very sorry that you lost your baby in such a terrible way. :sadhug: I am amazed at how kind, loving, and empathetic you are, even after going through something so traumatic. Thank you for letting that greyhound keep his life, and for allowing that woman to keep her pet.

It’s something any greyhound owner needs to be wary of - their prey drive and also the possibility that they’ll see small dogs as such. We are always very careful.

Again, I am so sorry. :sad8:

mak

Wow. It's amazing that after such a traumatic and heartbreaking experience you were able to make such a tough decision not to ask that the greyhound be put down. I would imagine many people would want 'revenge' if only because of the pain they were in. You must be a very special person.
I hope that you will never have to go through such pain and loss again.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm incredibly sorry for your lost of your dear Sunny. What traumatic tragedy for all involved. :sorrow: :sadhug2:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am very sorry for your loss

bebeburb

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nura
Your little one knows how much you love her! You are such a kind human being for also understanding the point of the greyhound owner, very rare for others to have empathy.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry for your traumatic loss of Sunny. I couldn't imagine how difficult that experience would be.

You are a very kind and compassionate person for understanding that Rodney was raised in a system of abuse. I think the muzzling request is a kind request.

I lost my dogs from old age and illness. You end up dropping a piece of food and realise you must pick it up. It is hard. It took me more than a year to consider another dog. When I got my current dog I felt this weird tension in my heart, like I was replacing my old loves. A few months in as my new puppy grew into a dog, he became such a support network.

Remember the good times. Those happy memories are yours forever.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber