• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much to take a bird to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
I havnt had my birds to the vet yet. I know I should of done it a while ago but I am wondering if someone can give me a idea of what it costs that way I am prepared with enough money when I go. I did talk to the vets office and they said the vet fee is $60. But do they usually do blood tests or anything like that for the first time they go? If so about how much is that?

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
My vet, a very well reviewed center that specializes in avians and exotics, charged me $93 for a "check up" for my GCC which involved weighing, observing of behavior, looking into mouth, eyes, nose, vent, checking of wings, feeling of tummy. I'm not discounting the importance of a vet check, but all of these things I can (and do) do myself, albiet without the training/experience that a vet has, and the vet literally spent only 10 minutes with her. For $93:cry:. My visit did not come with any testing, and the "basic" package of tests was $300+. Don't know if that's standard or not though, and I do live in Manhattan, where everything is (unnecessarily) expensive. It's probably a bit cheaper elsewhere, and you can usually select which specific tests you wanna do rather than doing the entire package, but I'd ask your vet as prices vary.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends. The person I went to charged about $40 just to get in the door. With Koopa it was about $300 because of testing we did.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
ok I had the senegal a year on the 7th and the brown headed parrot 8 months. I didnt think it was necessary to take them because they seemed healthy and I honestly didnt know you were supossed to take birds to the vet for check ups. I called a avian vet about 2 months ago because I had the bh since april and she still has not laid any eggs (I thought they were suppose to) so I called to see if that was normal and the receptionist asked the vet and he said its good if shes not laying eggs but I can bring her in for a check up. I asked how much and she said the visit fee was $60 so I had mentioned I had 2 birds (trying to see if I could work some type of deal and not have to pay 60 each) but of course she said it would be 60 a piece. I dont know what a avain vet does so I dont know if they automatically order bloodwork for every bird or no? To be honest I really cant afford it I cant work much because of back problems so money is tight. But one thing I do want to find out is how old the bh might be. I have no idea cause I got her from craigslist and that lady rescued her and she doesnt have a band. She only has 2 toes so im guessing if she did have a band it probably fell off. So I have no idea on how old she is and dont know how to tell. The bh does shed some feathers but not many but I was told that could be stress. But besides that both birds seem completly healthy.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
To just have Peanut seen by the vet, no tests or bloodwork, it's about $65. Blood tests run around $150 or more each in my experience.
I've never even heard of a vet that will include any bloodwork in that $65 fee, that's just the basic checkup. A good vet will handle, weigh, and look over them at that price and some will include complementary nail trims and wing clipping in that. But really it's what they can provide for free, just their time. Tests cost them money to run as well, either the kit they use or the lab they ship it to.

Determining age is mostly a visual thing, I think, there isn't a test for that. I'm not sure but most of the time the vet looks at the bird and will try to ballpark the age (if there is no band.) It's not an exact science but they can give an estimate.

Bloodwork gets expensive in a hurry and I understand not wanting to have it done but with new birds it's very helpful. They are very good at hiding their symptoms and new birds even more so since they are in new (often frightening to them, at least a bit) surroundings with people they aren't necessarily at ease with. It's instinctive for them to hide their illness or pain so things can and do go unnoticed until it is too late.

But I do understand; money doesn't rain from the sky and it can be hard to get the cash if you aren't already in a financially stable situation. I'm a student myself, the smartest thing I did was start a "Vet Bills Savings Account," if I can put at least $20 per paycheck in there it does start to add up, eventually. If you can though, I personally would try to get some tests done eventually on them, especially if they have a mysterious history and past injuries.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
thanks. I think I will take the bh in first when I have the money (wanna make sure I have enough for blood tests to just in case they want to run them that way I dont have to bring her back cause I couldnt afford the tests and have to pay another $60 vet fee) I can also ask them about what it runs on estimate. I am going to take her first because of her shedding her feathers. She doesnt shed much and also her feathers on her head are funny from when she was molting been like that since at least april when I got her. (you know the part on the feather where it kind of has like a clear band around it? thats whats showing?) I asked in the health section or somewhere on here and they explained they just needed pulled loose and i forget what they told me to use maybe vaseline? I dont rememeber because I am just gaining her trust and I know she would not let me do that and plus I dont know what I am doing so I figured with her next molt it would fix itself maybe?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My vet charges a "new bird fee" visit. Which includes the blood (JUST CBC, nothing else), weight check, fecal gram stain and throat swab. Physical. And nails and wings if you request it. For $125 I think.

If you want a Chem test done. A blood test to check liver and kidneys that's $93. And if it's a new bird. They tend to give a discount since your requesting a chem test done instead of the normal CBC done with new bird checkup. I think it was $160 or $170 total. Per bird.

Xrays are about $45 per slide. Give or take $. And most vets do 2-3 slides. Front and sides. I think anesthesia is $30.

If you need meds, depending on type $15-50..

So have $250 set aside for the vet bill, per bird. Just incase.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Mine charges like $70 for exam. All tests are extra. I think blood is like $130. Things like gram stains, chlamydia, are all extra. I paid over $500 for Iris initial exam but I went nuts and had her checked for everything.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ohhh and it's always best to be honest and forthcoming on what you are able to spend on vet care.

Say money is tight so give me all estimates upfront. And if they give you a list of things they want to do. QUESTION THEM. Ask them what each is.

And make sure to bring a list of things you want done. Like thorough blood test (chem testing/blood paneling), weight, visual, write questions down. And feel free to ask new questions that pop into your mind. "Why do you do that?" "Why does that have to be done?" "Is there any risks?" "Price?"

If you DO NOT want wings cut, TELL THEM UPFRONT. Tell the vet tech that as she asks questions from you. Tell that to anyone who touches your bird. Even the vet. Let the whole clinic know! That's what I do;) I'm determined to leave there with my birds fully intact. You never know who may go snip crazy!!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I just took 2 of mine in.
6 month exam (medium) (includes wing, nails & beak trim if needed): $91.50 x2
blood collection (taking it): $41.25 x2
CBC (blood test): $84.00 x2
Maxi blood panel (testing liver & kidneys): $125.25
With taxes, it was $631.39 and that was just a checkup with some tests. If I had taken all 4 it would have been around $1200! They found Tiki's cholesterol to be high-average so recommended cutting down on nuts, Nutriberries (she was only getting 1-2 each/day). And Quack had mild anemia so has to go back for a recheck for $67 or $69.

It is worth going as they may find things you won't ever know about. But it IS expensive. I have just upped my vet fund to $3500 and even that won't last long if even one of them develops something serious, let alone all 4. There is no such thing as a free or cheap pet!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
For a full work up here in Florida it's around $400.00 May I suggest that you start a bird vet fund for your babies in case of an emergency? Even if you throw all your change in a jar at the end of the day that's something. There's nothing more heartbreaking than someone coming on here to ask for help for their bird because they don't have the funds to take them in to the vet.

Ginger

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
For a full work up with all the gram stains and blood work, assume $250-300. If you need meds, those go by weight so smaller birds cost less than larger ones. A lot of vets now are offering credit with no interest for 6 months or something similar. You could also ask about that and sign up just in case it's ever needed.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I had a different experience with my bird vet. I was prepared to pay a lot, run tests (my other vet would have, the one I worked for) but he has a different philosophy and I am still not sure what I think. He did a new bird check up and did not test anything because he will not run tests without reason. I even asked about this test and that. He said no. He mentioned currents studies and false positives with fecal stains and did not want to do blood work. I was floored. He stays current with seminars etc so I am not sure what to think of a vet that is not eager to take money. My former boss would have been and his prices are a lot higher. ( I do trust him though).

This vet is the only bird vet near me but I can find one within an hour if he is way off base. I thought I would show that some are the the opposite wether right or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I used this vet when I lived in Philly: Dr. Sheldon Gerstenfeld
903 Bethlehem Pike
Erdenheim, PA 19038
215-836-2950
Chestnut Hill Veterinary Hospital - Home

I liked this vet a lot. Really cared. Very engaging.

It has been years so I don't recall his cost. The vet I see now charges $77 for basic exam and the full run of tests could run you another $500 depending on the tests the vet suggests. But the value of the testing is immeasureable. Try your best to save up.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I had a different experience with my bird vet. I was prepared to pay a lot, run tests (my other vet would have, the one I worked for) but he has a different philosophy and I am still not sure what I think. He did a new bird check up and did not test anything because he will not run tests without reason. I even asked about this test and that. He said no. He mentioned currents studies and false positives with fecal stains and did not want to do blood work. I was floored. He stays current with seminars etc so I am not sure what to think of a vet that is not eager to take money. My former boss would have been and his prices are a lot higher. ( I do trust him though).

This vet is the only bird vet near me but I can find one within an hour if he is way off base. I thought I would show that some are the the opposite wether right or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That doesnt sound like good vet. A vet who doesn't even do or encourage a simple CBC test to see if they have any underlying illness? Doesn't seem right at all.

SnowOwl

Checking out the neighborhood
Something no one has mentioned is having your vet see the bird as a "well bird check" ($60 office visit where I'm at) and do a gram stain fecal if he/she thinks it's needed based on the exam, your level of concern over past history, etc., and then draw blood for testing, and then mail the kit(s) yourself to an independent lab, such as Avian Biotech. When you send the tests yourself, it's a LOT less expensive. Avian Biotech tests for lots of diseases and conditions. I do that and then save my $$ for REAL emergencies, such as a recent $600 vet bill when one of my birds attacked another one. Oh, and, hello, I'm new here. :)

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
That doesnt sound like good vet. A vet who doesn't even do or encourage a simple CBC test to see if they have any underlying illness? Doesn't seem right at all.
At least a Gram stain should be taken. It's simple, non-invasive, inexpensive, & gives the vet a good idea whether there are bacteria present, & roughly what type (I don't know any more than that.) I think it costs $20 - $30. Something is a little bit off if a vet won't do standard tests requested by a patient, esp if it is a new bird exam.:confused:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
In Oklahoma, the fee to take a bird to the OSU Vet Med School is $49. I'm pretty sure that's just for a basic visit. Not sure of the price of various testing. For Olive (dove) it was $29 for the follow-ups after her leg surgery.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Something no one has mentioned is having your vet see the bird as a "well bird check" ($60 office visit where I'm at) and do a gram stain fecal if he/she thinks it's needed based on the exam, your level of concern over past history, etc., and then draw blood for testing, and then mail the kit(s) yourself to an independent lab, such as Avian Biotech. When you send the tests yourself, it's a LOT less expensive. Avian Biotech tests for lots of diseases and conditions. I do that and then save my $$ for REAL emergencies, such as a recent $600 vet bill when one of my birds attacked another one. Oh, and, hello, I'm new here. :)
My vet tells me to be careful with them because they make a lot of mistakes. I don't know if that's true or not but she didn't even want me to use them for a DNA test.

Status
Not open for further replies.