• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much sleep

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I know every parrot is different but in general how much sleep does your older Amazons want?

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Here all the birds get the same amount of time covered, 12 hours, but the oldest amazon naps in the afternoon a little more than the others. About an hour more?

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Howard's naps are getting longer. I'm sure his diabetes is a big part of it. I wish I knew how old he (she) was. The vet guessed late 30s.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret sleeps a lot. During the day I see the bird snoozing at various times. Often even when she's out on playstand.

Lights are out for the bird around 11 pm until the sunrise. We don't cover birds here.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
We were told to cover half of Billy's house when we got him. Howard has never been covered. Howard does love his naps.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hank loved, loved his naps and took several every day. Of course, he like Howard was not a well bird and was 34/35 when he died. My birds get 12 hours per day of opportunity to sleep.

PS - I love a nap too.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have any idea how do they assess the age? I know Inca is not a baby, his iris is orange... But how can I guess his age!
Inca takes a solid nap in afternoon, like 2 to 3 hrs. It's very hot in kolkata, so I draw the curtains and blinds.... In evening, he becomes sleepy from 7pm, but deep sleep I think from 11pm to 7 am.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
My guy seems fine with a flexible sleeping schedule, but never a long period straight through. He sleeps right next to me, so he follows my sleep patterns, which are ridiculous. And I don’t cover.

4 hours here, 3 hours there, etc., because I’m retired, we’ve gone through a year of Covid craziness, my wife works overnights, so our part of the world is pretty upside-down these days.

I’ve spoken to a few other Amazon owners in a similar situation and they say no problems, they can adapt and get into their deep sleep mode very quickly.