• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much pasta is too much pasta

TurtleTurt

Checking out the neighborhood
I thought about using pasta as treats to train my eclectus because it's easy to break into many small pieces, so my question is:

How much pasta can I safely give an eclectus on a daily basis?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
With an Ekkie, you probably shouldn't be using any pasta because it's a prepackaged food with additives in it. Pasta in general isn't the greatest choice for our birds for the same reason it isn't good for us. Here's a good read from Pamela Clark:

TurtleTurt

Checking out the neighborhood
With an Ekkie, you probably shouldn't be using any pasta because it's a prepackaged food with additives in it. Pasta in general isn't the greatest choice for our birds for the same reason it isn't good for us. Here's a good read from Pamela Clark:

Oh wow, thanks. The vast majority of results when looking to see if pasta is safe for birds say that it's great for them. I'll look for something better to use.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh wow, thanks. The vast majority of results when looking to see if pasta is safe for birds say that it's great for them. I'll look for something better to use.
Some pasta is made completely of vegetables. I use that once in a while and my guys go crazy for it but it's hard to find with nothing else in it. I've used the cauliflower pasta by Birdseye on occasion as a treat mixed in with their mash but it does contain a bit of olive oil. I use it sparingly. I know that others have found other veggie pasta that is nothing but veggies in the dry section. I haven't seen it in my area. I pretty much stay away from regular pasta though.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Ekkies have different dietary needs than other parrots.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Another excellent article by Pamela Clark.

I wonder how many birds that are found dead on the bottom of their cage or just drop dead, have atherosclerosis? Most I would guess.

"Sadly, the most common sign of atherosclerosis is sudden death. In the late stages, there may be symptoms such as weakness, lethargy, neurological signs (including seizure-like activity), trouble breathing and exercise intolerance. However, these may be less observable due to parrots spending long hours in cages. It is easier to identify exercise intolerance, for example, in parrots who fly."

I have too much experience with atherosclerosis. My Jasper had cardiomyopathy (congestive heart failure) when she was given to me at 6 1/2 years of age. Although she was well oved at her home previous to mine, her diet was a terrible as could be imagined. She got everything she liked (cheese, bacon, peanuts by the bag full, ice cream, donuts, hamburger, cookies - name it she got it). Within a month of me having her she was well into heart failure. When Dr. Drigger's diagnosed , her with CHF he said that if she were human she would be at the top of a heart replacement list. He doubted that she would live over five more years.

The CHF slowed down her blood circulation and within a very few years she was exhibiting atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis cannot be cured, it cannot be reversed. I can only be slowed down.

Jasper was put on a very lean (no fats nor carbohydrates) diet and was on it for years. She needed more fats so her diet was supplemented with olive oil - no saturated, only unsaturated fats. He atherosclerosis was so extensive that not enough blood was getting to her digestive tract to digest her food and her chest muscles were shrinking. She got to the point I was told by Dr. Driggers to give her more exercise, preferably flying. So I rigged up a harness and SCUBA reel and flew her on a line (she was not recall trained) five days a week for about 75 feet 6-10 times per day. I think, no way to know, that she lived for an extra two years.

She lived 15 years longer than the Dr. thought she would. I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone - Jasper almost died several times and Dr. pulled her back from the brink.

Please, everyone pay attention to diet and exercise - they aren't living in the jungle where it is a fight/flight to survive every day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Carbohydrates digest directly to fats that are stored and if the body does not need those fats they just stay stored and effect the heart, liver and blood composition - not good. Fats got directly to stored fats. Some fats are needed for normal bodily functioning - but we usually give them way more than their metabolism needs..