• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Much Oranges Can My Baby Conure Have?

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Today is Kiwipo’s fourth day home. We have been introducing to him a variety of foods. So far he only likes oranges in the fruit compartment. Oranges are acidic so how much should I give him? Right now he is eating 1 piece of a cutie orange and totally annihilated it. Is this too much for him??

Sorry, should have asked this question before giving him the orange :(

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a cutie! I love his messy beak. :xflove:

In addition to being acidic, I think too much citrus can cause parrots to absorb too much iron. I give our birds a piece of orange every now and then, but not regularly. I think @Mizzely knows more about it. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Everything in moderation :) I usually do 1/3rd or 1/2 of a slice.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
What a cutie! I love his messy beak. :xflove:

In addition to being acidic, I think too much citrus can cause parrots to absorb too much iron. I give our birds a piece of orange every now and then, but not regularly. I think @Mizzely knows more about it. :)
That is good to know! Thank you. Me and my s/o always eat oranges but we will try our best to not feed him all the time :hilarious:

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Everything in moderation :) I usually do 1/3rd or 1/2 of a slice.
Is this a 3rd or 1/2 of a slice of a small cutie size or a regular orange? Also btw we stopped by the breeder and was answered by an older daughter/wife? and found out that he is 7weeks and a couple days old! Is this still considered young for being done with liquids?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is this a 3rd or 1/2 of a slice of a small cutie size or a regular orange? Also btw we stopped by the breeder and was answered by an older daughter/wife? and found out that he is 7weeks and a couple days old! Is this still considered young for being done with liquids?
Yes. Babies should be abundance weaned and the only time they wean before 8 weeks is if they are force weaned. I would offer him formula still honestly, especially if he begs.

1/3rd or half of a cutie slice, and only 1-3 times a week. Oranges are super sugary and sugar should be a very small portion of the diet. I actually don't feed oranges at all except as a treat :) Especially when they are young you want to focus on veggies as if they get a lot of sugary and fatty foods they can decide to ONLY eat that stuff.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Yes. Babies should be abundance weaned and the only time they wean before 8 weeks is if they are force weaned. I would offer him formula still honestly, especially if he begs.

1/3rd or half of a cutie slice, and only 1-3 times a week. Oranges are super sugary and sugar should be a very small portion of the diet. I actually don't feed oranges at all except as a treat :) Especially when they are young you want to focus on veggies as if they get a lot of sugary and fatty foods they can decide to ONLY eat that stuff.
That is very sad to hear that he was force fed. We thought the breeder was pretty good since all of their babies were so friendly and playful. We don’t see him begging but perhaps he mistakes the chopstick we use in training as a syringe? He seems very open to trying everything but we will still look into conure formula. Also we will definitely try more veggies and less fruit now. Thank you!