• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

)How much is too much? (Chirping/Screaming/Shrill Cheeping)

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
Hello there! Thank you guys for all your help so far! I have another quick question in regards to chirping/other various noises Pico has been making.

Early in the morning, around 6, Pico will begin to gently chirp with the birds outside. But by 8 or 9 o clock he goes on a tirade of continuous shrill chirps, peeps, and sometimes a thread of scream-chirps. He bobs his head around and sometimes even lifts his wings while he goes on with his serenade. It's both adorable and somewhat of a concern? Sometimes the chirps can be so loud and ear piercing it makes me worried from the other room.

Does this mean he's happy? Or is he lonely and scared? I don't mind the chirping (though my husband has other things to say, haha!) but is this normal? And what is considered "troublesome" or "bad behaviour"?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It sounds normal, though it is highly possible he's a bit lonely and trying to find his friends from the pet shop. I assume he wasn't an only bird there?

ergunm

Meeting neighbors
both of my lovies (one 7.5 and other 2.5 months old) did / doing lots of chirping signing. usually doing this while perching on one foot, resting head over the back, or laying in the bed. older one stopped doing it around 3-4 months old, he is much more quiter now. I thought it is to practice their voice, but it might also be because of adapting to the new home. dont know if it is normal, but I see same behaviour at both of them.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara never chirps or chatters, she only screams. She doesn't do it for fun of when she's happy either it's her way of telling me she wants something. When she's content she's very quiet or she'll sit and grind her beak

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Bo does this every day multiple times a day but he does get loud when he plays with his toys too. He just likes to get going. I never worry about it. Him and Gracie will go back and forth for a bit off and on and get loud when one of us comes home from work as well.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I think in general, most lovies are very chatty by nature.
Kumo always seems to be chittering about, to really anything. TV, music, toys, my birds or birds outside he hears.

I've even caught him beeping at his pellet dish once or twice. :lol:

I wouldn't worry. As long as he has plenty of stimuli in his cage with lots of toys, foraging opportunities etc. and daily out-of-cage time he should be great. :)

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
It sounds normal, though it is highly possible he's a bit lonely and trying to find his friends from the pet shop. I assume he wasn't an only bird there?
Yeah, he was with a bunch of other birds back at the pet shop. I was surprised at how quiet the lovebirds were though when they were together. He must miss them quite a bit; I try to spend a lot of time with him and talk with him all the time. Right now he's actually grinding his beak quietly in the corner after his usual serenades. I hear that means they're content...?

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
OMG my evil twins never learned that Lovebirds should be somewhat quiet, they are extremely loud up to the point of not being able to hold a conversation in the room they are in. I wouldn't worry about the noise your lovely is making, I would be more worried if it was overly quiet.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
:rofl: @Valkyria I have the same issue with Bo he will chirp scream me right out of a room if he wants