• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much hope is there for birds with heart disease?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are many, many strains of Aspergillus and there are several of those that are used in medications and foods and supplements. Nothing to worry about.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh that’s great news! Well, much much better news anyway! Did you ever get an answer to your question about the prozyme?

Ha! Never mind, I see that @Hankmacaw answered it already!

How cute that widget has found his crest :xflove:

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
Just wanted to post an update. I don’t like posting updates because I always feel like it will jinx it. But Widget is still doing good. He is molting so sometimes when a lot of feathers are growing in he gets a little low energy, but more good days than bad.

He’s so sweet and after he takes his night time dose of meds he gets a snack since some of the medicine needs to be taken with food, then he wants to sit on my chest (while I’m standing lol) and cuddle.

He doesn’t whistle much but sometimes when I’m just thinking about everything with his health and start crying he whistles. I don’t know if he knows but it always cheers me up. He’s a good boy.

Here’s a picture of him from recently. His face feathers are still messy but we’ve managed to keep them cleaner since he molted them so they don’t bother him anymore. (They are much cleaner now than in this picture).
96153F4A-53C4-489A-A93A-A40B610FB8CB.jpeg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet Widget!!! Thank you for the update and the adorable picture :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a darling and what a fighter he is! So glad that hear that he's doing well,thanks for the update!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad Widget is doing well. What a precious little guy he is! :heart:

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Thank you all so much.

And @Hankmacaw you had a big part in saving his life, with all of your advice and especially suggesting the Benazepril which has been the most effective medication for him.

When he was first diagnosed I just wanted another year with him, but most of the time I thought no matter how much I wanted that, it was impossible with how sick he was. In August it has been a year since then and now we are starting year two. So don’t give up hope even if things seem impossible. I’m so grateful for every moment spent with Widget.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think that hope, love, a strong will to live and excellent medical care kept Jasper alive for 21 years when she was supposed to die within a few days or at the most a couple of months of being diagnosed. She died Sept. 11, 2020 of complications from Aspergillosis.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Seeing your story of Jasper gave me hope when I thought there was none. She had a good life with you. I wasn’t even sure Widget wasn’t going to survive the stress of the vet visit when he was first diagnosed. I’m glad I was wrong and didn’t give up on him.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Another update on Widget. He is doing so well. When he first got diagnosed, it was always a cycle of increasing his dose/adding new medicine, him doing better for a while, but always declining again. Now his vet thinks he has kind of adjusted. He has been doing well for months now, the only time I notice any decrease in energy is when he’s molting. Before, he would only do good for about 2 months maximum before getting worse again.

He plays multiple times a day, whistles once in a while, and really likes to show off. But most of all he is just a sweet little guy. I don’t think he‘ll ever be 100% but this is more than I could ever have hoped for. I’m so grateful every day especially considering when he first got sick, I was scared he wouldn’t even survive the stress of the vet visit.

He‘s been liking his veggies more, I think he really just likes fresh veggies everyday rather than trying to make frozen chop to thaw. I also got him some avi-cakes as a treat. And I just ordered this perch to put on the outside of his cage (he’s rarely ever in his cage but plays on the top a lot). Large Pine Slab Cage Balcony Perches | Etsy

And here’s him showing off how high he can climb:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have to give you more "good on ya's". You fought as hard as anyone I've known for Widget's life. It is definitely a star in your crown.

I'm so glad to see the little guy getting along so well now.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another update on Widget. He is doing so well. When he first got diagnosed, it was always a cycle of increasing his dose/adding new medicine, him doing better for a while, but always declining again. Now his vet thinks he has kind of adjusted. He has been doing well for months now, the only time I notice any decrease in energy is when he’s molting. Before, he would only do good for about 2 months maximum before getting worse again.

He plays multiple times a day, whistles once in a while, and really likes to show off. But most of all he is just a sweet little guy. I don’t think he‘ll ever be 100% but this is more than I could ever have hoped for. I’m so grateful every day especially considering when he first got sick, I was scared he wouldn’t even survive the stress of the vet visit.

He‘s been liking his veggies more, I think he really just likes fresh veggies everyday rather than trying to make frozen chop to thaw. I also got him some avi-cakes as a treat. And I just ordered this perch to put on the outside of his cage (he’s rarely ever in his cage but plays on the top a lot). Large Pine Slab Cage Balcony Perches | Etsy

And here’s him showing off how high he can climb:
Such a wonderful update. It fills my heart with such joy to see him thrilling so much. Well done to both of you!

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Thank you all so much.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on things I can get him let me know. Like toys, food, etc. that he might like.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does he like paper to shred? My budgie boys like the shreddable toys and love mahogany pods! Maybe some of those paper finger traps in which you can hide some treats?

Have you tried using clips to attach his veggies to different parts of his cage? Clip a piece of kale or cucumber or carrot in various locations?

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Yes he loves paper! I’m not sure if he’d go for the veggies though, for some reason he’s scared of big food even though he seems to know it’s the same as the small pieces lol.

Also, here is his new play gym from Manzanita Burlworks! I just put it together today so he’s still kind of scared but also wanted to explore it a bit. I also got a toy hanger for it but I haven’t attached it yet. 1D22F030-1416-4681-BE42-2F09B7F0E786.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes he loves paper! I’m not sure if he’d go for the veggies though, for some reason he’s scared of big food even though he seems to know it’s the same as the small pieces lol.

Also, here is his new play gym from Manzanita Burlworks! I just put it together today so he’s still kind of scared but also wanted to explore it a bit. I also got a toy hanger for it but I haven’t attached it yet. View attachment 403710
Wow! That looks amazing! And he looks as handsome as always. Keep on trucking bud you're an inspiration for all birds with heart disease. :heart:

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Thanks! I’ll tell him you said so.

And he also got a new computer. He likes playing on my iPad and my old laptop too. He knows how to use touch screens and all the apps, but on computers he mostly likes to rip out the keys and watch Miss Spider. 149F0F1C-A35C-421D-8444-C9E1870D562B.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks! I’ll tell him you said so.

And he also got a new computer. He likes playing on my iPad and my old laptop too. He knows how to use touch screens and all the apps, but on computers he mostly likes to rip out the keys and watch Miss Spider. View attachment 403711
Aww! Hmm Miss Spider I feel like maybe I've seen that before is it a childrens show from around 2004 ish?