• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much fruit?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise is a CAG who is about 10/11 mos old. Daily, I have been giving her a fruit for breakfast, Harrison pellets, and then a veggie at dinner. Bites of things I am eating or a treat/nut/sunflower seed during training.
At Pruess's Pets, the associate told me several times "only give fruit once a week, she will get fatty liver". I had not heard this, should I cut back on fruit? Louise is healthy sized girl...doc said she is fine but when I see other Greys she is definitely a big girl-and by big I mean overall size and roundness (and the biggest feet I have ever seen on a Grey!). I don't know her weight.
Second question, when should I transition her off the high potency pellets to the regular pellets? When the associate didn't know the answer to that I doubted her reduce the fruit- hense the question
thank for the help.
pat

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How would a bird get fatty liver from fruit which has very little if any "fat" in it? That is wrong.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't have a grey, but...my birds, Tiels, IRN, love bird get fresh fruits and veggies everyday. Even my doves and pigeon get broccoli florets, cut very small , they're all very healthy.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@JLcribber thank you, your comment took me out of panic mode. I try to do right by her and the associate's comment shook me. You are right that fruit does not have fat in it... I want to make sure I give her a good diet. Fruit every day a good idea? and if anyone knows what age to change from high potency to regular pellets, I would appreciate that opinion too.