• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much food?

KASHISH

Moving in
Hello I know I keep posting and asking things on here but it’s cause I am a novice bird owner and have multiple questions.
I give my birds food 3 times a day (most days) and 2 times a day if I can’t give them 3 times.
I don’t leave food overnight cause I’ve heard that’s not good for training them and also since I feed them vegetables there is a foul smell if I leave them overnight in their cage.

my birds eat a mixture of green beans, bell peppers, spinach and chilli for lunch and dinner. And around 6pm I give them almonds and walnuts or apples(if I have any at homas snacks.

I give them a full bowl of food everytime which they always finish. But if they see me eat dinner ( I feed them around 30 mins before my dinner time) they start fighting and yelling while looking at me eat. I have noticed that with each bite I take in they move their head to follow along my hand. And they seem very interested and curious in what I have on my plate.
Beacuse of this reason I have started to give them more almonds and walnuts at night and they eat them all. They rush right over to the bowl as though they are very hungry even tho I just fed them dinner.
I just wanted to know if I am over feeding them

I have attached a photo of the bowl size

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Hi. So, do you also provide pellets, seed, or a combination? Also, what kind of bird? My IRN Jade gets a quarter cup of food and hand offered veggies, fruit, egg or chicken, and rarely nuts.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would say that if that is all you feed your bird, than the diet is incomplete and part of the reason they still feel hungry.

They should eat about 10 to 20% of their body weight a day. Almonds and walnuts are great snacks, but should make up 10% of less of the diet.

KASHISH

Moving in
Hi. So, do you also provide pellets, seed, or a combination? Also, what kind of bird? My IRN Jade gets a quarter cup of food and hand offered veggies, fruit, egg or chicken, and rarely nuts.
Hello
I haven’t been able to find pellets anywhere here. Literally all pet shops and grocery shops have only seed mixes.
I have Indian ringnecks too. They get more than half a cup of vegetables each and any fruit i have in the morning as breakfast.
i don’t provide them with eggs or chicken since I am a vegetarian.

they eat seeds but only sunflower seeds. I actually rescued them from someone who only fed them sunflower seeds and this is honestly their 5th week of being on a veg and fruits diet.
When I got them for the first two weeks I kept giving them sunflower seeds since at that point I didn’t know they were bad and cause fatty liver disease.
Anyways I have tried canary seeds. Oats, wheat and even corn but if I provided them with sunflower seeds they would just eat those and not touch the rest. If I provided them alone they just wouldn’t eat the food

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
It sounds like they have a decent chop then. Add some kind of protein in there like chicken or egg. If you can only get seed, try to find one with pellets mixed in. If you can’t I’ll check with a rehabber friend of mine and see what I can come up with.