• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much do your Amazons weigh?

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Have ever experienced any discoloration in Fuzzy's feathers? When I first got Oliver he had dry skin. So I put a few drops of coconut oil on his spray bottle thinking it would help. Perhaps I put a little too much coconut oil bcuz it darkened his feathers and 4 years later it's still not completely grown out.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Oh golly, you shouldn't have sprayed him with oil. It would have compromised his insulation. Weird that the feathers haven't all moulted out by now. Being younger more feathers should moult out yearly. I was wondering why he had dark patches, but it doesn't look like he has many oil soaked feathers left. You only spray him with plain water now? It might also be the reason why he stopped flying... the flight feathers may not have been able to work properly.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My Panama zon is a bit overweight! He is around 440g. I guess he needs to go on a diet and exercise routine..... My [very-likely-to-fail] foster OWA is a little over 400g now.
@Fuzzy since you have two kinds of Amazons I have, may I ask some questions? You say that your Panama (Chico) is heavier than Orange Wing (Ollie), but is your OW longer / larger frame than Panama? Also, is your OW a little dull (gray overcast) compared to your Panama (bright green). I love them both!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
My Panama zon is a bit overweight! He is around 440g. I guess he needs to go on a diet and exercise routine..... My [very-likely-to-fail] foster OWA is a little over 400g now.
@Fuzzy since you have two kinds of Amazons I have, may I ask some questions? You say that your Panama (Chico) is heavier than Orange Wing (Ollie), but is your OW longer / larger frame than Panama? Also, is your OW a little dull (gray overcast) compared to your Panama (bright green). I love them both!
Hi MNR! Chico is bigger than Ollie. Bigger beak and feet too. Ollie is wide and compact, ie. not long. He has a small tail. I believe size can depend on where they originally come from in South America. I have seen bigger Orange-wings than Ollie. Sounds like you have a bigger OWA. Ollie is around 370gms. Chico is around 430gms, so not much lighter than your Panama. Yes, Chico is a bright green compared to the softer, greyer green of Ollie. Would LOVE to see a pic of both of yours!! :)

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Oh golly, you shouldn't have sprayed him with oil. It would have compromised his insulation. Weird that the feathers haven't all moulted out by now. Being younger more feathers should moult out yearly. I was wondering why he had dark patches, but it doesn't look like he has many oil soaked feathers left. You only spray him with plain water now? It might also be the reason why he stopped flying... the flight feathers may not have been able to work properly.
Thanks
Yes I only spray him with plain water now. Most of his dark patches have moulted away and I too thought it was taking really long to do so.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Fuzzy. Very interesting My foster OWA (left) is a few centimeters longer than my Panama. That's why I was shocked that my chubby Panama is heavier than OWA.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Pictures did not go though. OWA (left) Panama (right)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That's interesting, MNR! Have to say I love the pics!!! :xflove: They looks so cute together. Do they get on? I can see your OWA does look a little longer than Ollie. His shape looks more like my Red-lored who is longer with a longer tail. Ollie is quite squat more like my Pionus. It's hard to give you a shape for Chico as he is elderly and disabled, but looking at him he's quite broad from behind. Panama are meant to be smaller than Yellow-crowned. I have a friend with a Yellow-crowned who is 556gms!

On the site below it says that Panama are 12 - 13 inches long, weighing around 13 oz, whereas Orange-wings are around 13 inches long, but weighing in lighter at 11 - 12oz

Orange-Winged Amazon Parrot Bird Species Profile

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Kukulkan and Babs.jpg kuku and Babs2.jpg Group pic .jpg They get along O.K. .... as good as I can expect at this point. Neither of them are used to having another Amazon around. Babs (OWA) has been here about 2 month now, and Kukulkan (PA) and caiques do not seem to mind to have her around.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What a beautiful set up!!!! :heart: That's so great yours all seem to get along. Will you be keeping Babs then? :D I adore OWAs since living with Ollie. Kukulkan looks very playful... rather like my Ollie OW. Love how you've hung the java branches... so clever. You are giving me ideas!!! I have a lot of boings and Atoms hanging from the ceiling which they love.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yes, Kukulkan is playful. He loves his toys and he loves to sing and meow. Babs is a perch potato. Her first two caretakers were heavy smokers, and because of that, she has some health issues. I am seriously considering adopting her since she seems to be happy at my place and my birds seem to be O.K. with her around.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awwwww Babs might become playful as she feels better. I hope you get to adopt her. Very sorry to hear she has health issues though. Ollie too has health issues - respiratory problems from the awful conditions he was kept in with his first people. People have a lot to answer for! I hope one day you get to see Babs shadow boxing as Rosemary Low calls it. She says it's an Orange-wing trait. Ollie does it and it's very funny. It's lovely for me to see Kukulkan and imagine what Chico must have looked like when he was young. Chico is quite fiesty and playful... he speaks in the voice of an old lady (his original people). He's become very responsive to my voice in the last year, so I am teaching him to sing too.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I hope Babs becomes more playful, too. The main issue that I am working on is bumble-foot. She has other issues caused by poor environment and diet, but her vet says that there is not much I can do other than keep providing good care. The people at rescue say that she is not that old, younger than my guys, maybe 10 years old, if that. So sad to see so much damages can be done in short years. Her vet says that Babs looks so much better than when she came in last year.

I am so happy to see your Chico, too. I love seeing older birds! I would love to keep my birds as long as I can.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Poor Babs. All those natural perches will surely get her feet working again. That's so good she is making visible progress. Yes, it is amazing how much damage can be done in such a short time. Ollie was ruined in 4 short horrible years. In that time, he developed Aspergillosis, scarred and milky air sacs and sinus problems due to living in gross conditions. Chico is a rescue - he was going to be euthanized and my friend who gave him (and Ollie) to me saved him in the nick of time. Again due to poor environment he has bad arthritis in his legs, his feet won't open flat as they have taken on the shape of the filthy plastic perch he was on for what we presume was most of his 50+ years, he has plucked all the primary feathers on his wings and is just about blind.

You should post more about your birds. I'd love to know more about them. They all look so well behaved! :laugh:

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am so glad that you rescued Ollie and Chico!

Trust me, caiques are not so well-behaving creatures! Thankfully, they are actually quite good about sharing space with Amazons.

Veganature

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Hi Steve, Oliver is beautiful! Love all the blue on his head. Ollie is probably around 16 or 17 years old. He's been with me just over 9 years. I'm surprised Oliver weighs in even lighter than Ollie. Oliver must be small too. :) Does Oliver fly? That will build muscle! Ollie is a strong flier. :fly2:
Thank you so much for the compliment. I recently bought a scale and weighed Oliver. He weighs 370 grams. When I posted 350 grams I was going by the record of his last visit to his Vet.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you so much for the compliment. I recently bought a scale and weighed Oliver. He weighs 370 grams. When I posted 350 grams I was going by the record of his last visit to his Vet.
Ollie now weighs less than Oliver. I managed to weigh Ollie in the morning before breakfast. I was a bit shocked that he was 10 grams lighter @ around 360 - 361 grams:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ollie now weighs less than Oliver. I managed to weigh Ollie in the morning before breakfast. I was a bit shocked that he was 10 grams lighter @ around 360 - 361 grams:

LOL Ollie is taking a look

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a Nice inquisitive look Ollie has.

It shows how smart Zon's are...
Why does he care what he weights? :lol:

Buddy was 303 Grams & the vets & then he said a nice weight for Buddy.