• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much do you feed your grey and what?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm so sorry that you have had to go through this. I understand exactly what you are going through. I had a wild caught White Front Amazon, I too thought she would be with me forever. She was my best buddy for 25 years. It is stressful when they are ill and feeling helpless. Her illness is what brought me here to AA as well. Paco is a stinker, he probably would like another bird around, shoot he is such a scaredy cat he would probably sit there and shake. Has the vet done blood work? It concerns me that you say the vet put him on medicine for arthritis and vinegar after months of low energy. Why did the vet wait? I wish I could get Paco to play and chew. He is terrified of everything. I did discover he loves to chew on books! So I clip a paper back book to his cage and he goes to town! I would keep giving him warm foods, sweet potato is full of vitamin A. So I'm a little confused, Walter is ok except that he isn't eating much? I would follow up maybe with a different vet if possible and offer Walter a variety of food. How is doing today?

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
He is eating good now, and is full of energy and back to his old self now. There is not much choice of vets and the vet is really the best in the area. I think she wanted to get him healthier again before she stressed him with extra bloodwork etc. So I don't fault the vet at all and he is now thriving under her care. This may be his new normal weight and as you said, I should not worry. 291 grams is on the small side of TAG weights. But then again he is a small African Gray. You are right! I should stop worrying. He is eating really good and a wide variety of foods. His feathers have glossed over and his energy is way up (as evidenced by his trashed cage each evening! HAHA). Walter has been an only child for so long I think Walter would sit and shake at one end of the room and Paco on the other but they are kindred spirits. Do you know if Paco is male or female? I don't know about Walter. I told the vet I don't want to stress Walter and when he is healthy and if we can find out without any undue stress I would like to know but I have waited almost 40 years so what's a bit longer.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I am Paco's third owner. He has not had an easy life. His first owner got him as a baby and he told his second owner that he had him sexed and he is a male. Paco has spent years in his cage, not allowed out and he doesn't even know how to play. Glad to hear that Walter's feathers are glossy and he is playing. I didn't realize the vet was waiting to do blood work. It is stressful to them. I wouldn't stress over his eating. Sounds to me if his weight is good and the vet is happy I would just keep doing what you're doing. I know how Walter feels, I'm on the small side and that's ok! Just enjoy him and keep up the good work.