• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much do cockatiels need to eat?

Slayer21

Strolling the yard
Hello wonderful people, hope your all well.

Firstly massive news , one of the two cockatiels has been tamed at the 1 month and 1 day mark❤❤❤
The other is still abit scared but hopefully he will also become tame in a few weeks:)

Okay so as the heading of the post suggests, i fed my cockatiel and just when i sat on the chair to take a break i saw one of them was back in the food bowl eating, now i dont want anyone to misunderstand i love feeding them and i dont mind them eating alot. I just want to know how much they need so that they never get hungry.

Do they eat a specific amount or do they simply keep eating as much is available?

Thanks to all the help:)

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I believe they will eat until they are not hungry anymore. Birds do not eat 2-3 times a day like humans and dogs do, they eat much more frequently. I do not know how much cockatiels in particular eat. @Tiel Feathers @sunnysmom

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going well with your tiels. Cockatiels definitely "graze" all day- eating off and on. They have high metabolism rates. So, I think it's important for them to have access to food 24/7. Unlike dogs and some other animals, it's pretty rare for a cockatiel to over eat. I never actually measure how much I give them but just make sure they have food throughout the day.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiels also have food throughout the day. If I were you I would try to figure out how much they eat in a day, and give them a bit over, and give new food every day. I feed each of my tiels about 1 tsp. pellets, 1tsp. seeds, a couple of nutriberries, AviCakes and/or pieces of bird bread, some greens, veggies, sprouts and a bit of millet. They don’t eat all of that, but mostly, and some days they eat more than others. Congratulations on making progress with your birds. Your patience is paying off already!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Honestly, I find that birds don't eat all that much. They waste more. Mine scream to tell me they are hungry. I usually feed my twice a day, but they have access to the bowls all day. So I just change the food twice a day. Usually from 1st mash to 2nd pellets/seeds.

Pistachio

Meeting neighbors
No bird eats the exact same amount of food as another, nor the same amount from one day to the next. It depends on exercise level and probably a lot of other things that I don’t know about. A bird that sits in a small cage all day is going to eat a lot less then a bird who flys around all day.

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
I don't keep their food and water in the cage overnight. The excess and leftover will be discarded before going to bed.
Food and water are only available during day and I don't replenish them.

Regards,

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't keep their food and water in the cage overnight. The excess and leftover will be discarded before going to bed.
Food and water are only available during day and I don't replenish them.

Regards,
My vet told me it was fine to leave out food overnight, but to keep water available at all times.