• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many toys and perches is too many?

Codyyjohns

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cody
Hi all,

A few months back I added a new baby to my flock (now of 2). They now live together and share a very large flight cage (double critter nation)

They have gotten along very well although they both still seem to prefer me separately (yay!)

My question today is about toys andperches - my baby is a chewer so I have offered a lot of his favorite materials to chew (paper, seagrass, balsa, cardboard)

my older bird has always preferred a cage with lots of toys and perches and stuff but I’ve always wondered: how many is too many? Do you think I have too many things in their cage?

Pic of the babies for cuteness :)

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What cuties, and it’s obvious you love them very much! I think that you could probably remove a few things so the cage is more spacious. Do they chew on all the toys? My birds flight cages have about 8 toys, one swing, and about six or seven perches of various types and lengths. I feel like you could at least take out some perches, because your birds will use the sides of the cage to climb around on, and they most likely don’t sit on all the perches.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a single HQ flight cage and I currently have 17 perches and 11 toys and Bosco uses each and every perch and plays with all the toys. However at the moment he's badly clipped from the pet store and drops like a rock so he needs all the perches to help him travel around the cage. Once he gets his flights in and is more steady I'll probably remove several of them to give him more room to practice his flights. He's so small that he could probably get a bit of a "flight" in if he had the room. As for the toys though I've always been a bit believer in having as many as they will tolerate within reason I wouldn't add so many toys they have no room to move or climb but a good amount of different varieties at different levels can't go amiss in my opinion.
I have a perch with just foot toys in the middle of his cage by the front door,a perch and hanging toy at the very bottom and the rest in the top and middle and he makes his rounds and plays with them all even for just a few mins everyday.