• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many Rosellas?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I noted when introducing my Adelaide Rosella that a few members stated they'd never seen one, and with this forum being so quiet I thought I'd wake you all up a little. So how many Rosellas have human members of AA? Crimson, Eastern, doesn't matter.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're not very common where I am. I've never seen one in person but think they're beautiful.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They're not very common where I am. I've never seen one in person but think they're beautiful.
Same here. Just when I saw his pic I was hooked. TBH I'm not expecting many responses, maybe 2 or 3.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Just-passn-thru has two beautiful red-rumped parrots, but I am not sure about current members with rosellas.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Just-passn-thru has two beautiful red-rumped parrots, but I am not sure about current members with rosellas.
Rosellas are a entirely different species than the Red Rumped Parakeets . I believe that the rosellas diet are primarily fruit based . Very different from the Red Rumped Parakeets .

Rosella owners feed their birds fruit from their native habitat in Australia and Tasmania as well as fruit that doesn't grow there. Rosellas generally prefer eating non-native fruits such as apples, blackberries, oranges and mangoes. The Avian Web website suggests that different species of Rosellas have different fruit-eating preferences. According to the website, crimson Rosellas prefer fresh fruits while golden mantle Rosellas prefer to eat only small bits of fruit and leave the rest for later.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have never heard of an "Adelaide" Rosella.....where will I find a pic of your bird please?

I have heard of crimson, eastern, western, pale headed, northern and green but I have never heard of any of them being referred to as Adelaide Rosella so I am unsure if this is a bird I am familiar with under a different name.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
We had a member a long time ago that had an Eastern rosella... if memory serves me correctly his name was Batman.. the bird... not the owner. As far as I know I'm the only other one who had a crimson rosella from 13 weeks old to 10 years.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We have them where I live too and my neighbor also has a Crimson Rosella in his aviary.....they are beautiful little birds :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have never heard of an "Adelaide" Rosella.....where will I find a pic of your bird please?
Adelaide Rosella is just a mutation of the Crimson Rosella. They are genetically the same species - Platycercus Elegans.
Colour variability in Crimson Rosellas is linked to a virus
Wikipedia is wrong on this matter. There is no genetic difference. Rosella Adilaidae was made up years ago to fit the gap. But they are genetically Crimson Rosellas not hybrids.
Rosellas are also omnivores - they eat anything.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Rosellas are a entirely different species than the Red Rumped Parakeets . I believe that the rosellas diet are primarily fruit based . Very different from the Red Rumped Parakeets .

Rosella owners feed their birds fruit from their native habitat in Australia and Tasmania as well as fruit that doesn't grow there. Rosellas generally prefer eating non-native fruits such as apples, blackberries, oranges and mangoes. The Avian Web website suggests that different species of Rosellas have different fruit-eating preferences. According to the website, crimson Rosellas prefer fresh fruits while golden mantle Rosellas prefer to eat only small bits of fruit and leave the rest for later.
Thank you for explaining. I understood that they were not the same, I only mentioned you as I could not think of many other who own grass parakeets.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you for explaining. I understood that they were not the same, I only mentioned you as I could not think of many other who own grass parakeets.
Thankyou for mentioning me .Interesting variety of Australian Grass Parakeet Species. I think the saying goes...
Not all Parakeets are Budgies but all Budgies are Parakeets . I suppose the same goes for Grasskeets!
:marlenesmile:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow. I never saw a good photo of the blues before. They are gorgeous beyond belief.
They are beautiful for sure. As you can see, many breeders of this species raise them in outdoor aviaries. They can be a very skittish bird unless you buy a baby finished from hand feeding. I was just curious as to what was out there!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Mockinbirdiva I almost brought home a Crimson Rosella years ago. I saw him in the pet shop and I felt so bad for him. Lack of knowledge made me resist and from that day forward I never set foot in that store ever again and I avoid any pet stores that sell birds.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva I almost brought home a Crimson Rosella years ago. I saw him in the pet shop and I felt so bad for him. Lack of knowledge made me resist and from that day forward I never set foot in that store ever again and I avoid any pet stores that sell birds.
Once in a blue moon I'll go into Petsmart for dog food or pellets if I hadn't ordered already and am low. The last time I went to the petstore I used to buy from ( I like to support local businesses) the bags of Volkman food I wanted were dirty and felt a little sticky... I smelled my fingers and recognized that smell..... RAT PEE. I got the employee to look and when she pulled the bags off the shelf you could see the whole wall filthy with rat pee and poop. She offered the clean the bags off but I said... No Thanks! Told her I still had some left at home but I was in the area and thought I'd grab an extra couple bags. Went home and ordered it and haven't been back there since. Clearly, I understand how a store rodent can get loose but.... the loose seed on the shelf should have been an indicator there's a problem running around. They don't sell cats or dogs but do sell rodents, rabbits, ferrets on occasion and some birds but not many. Some people board their birds there ( OMG... I would never....) Long ago I offered to take a store cockatiel home, knowing my home is full but I felt sorry for it.... the cage was always disgusting. Nope.. she said the customers loved visiting with it. :sour:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Long ago I offered to take a store cockatiel home, knowing my home is full but I felt sorry for it.... the cage was always disgusting. Nope.. she said the customers loved visiting with it. :sour:
That´s really sad :(

And the rat pee - disgusting!

Yea, I frequent a little indi pet shop. They sell birds and have lots in little space. But their cages are clean and they get veggies daily. I´ve been buying the dove food from there.
Just seeing that Rosella, so beautiful but so sad looking really put me off pet shops that deal in livestock. It was the first and only Rosella i´ve ever seen.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Adelaide Rosella is just a mutation of the Crimson Rosella. They are genetically the same species - Platycercus Elegans.
Colour variability in Crimson Rosellas is linked to a virus
Wikipedia is wrong on this matter. There is no genetic difference. Rosella Adilaidae was made up years ago to fit the gap. But they are genetically Crimson Rosellas not hybrids.
Rosellas are also omnivores - they eat anything.

Wow, that is interesting....thank you for the information. They are very pretty birds, I love seeing them take off from the sides of the road as I drive past them- such vibrant colors and now there is one more color variation I had no idea existed :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There were two breeders in maryland a few years ago but her asking price was just over $500. Also saw a couple babies for sale in a bird store. Dont know if they sold or not.