• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many of you have mutiple p'lets in one cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Molotov

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariel
Later down the road, I plan on getting 1 or 2 more p'lets. I love them so much! Noel has admitted that he loves Gaston, and he's his favourite species that we have too. yay! I know of the potential for cage aggression issues, so I am curious to know how many people on AA, if any, have multiple p'lets in the same cage, and also added 1 after the other. I'm not saying any new p'lets in my house would have to live with Gaston, I'm just curious about the success rate after introduction. Also, do male/male, male/female or female/female pairs work best (if they accept each other)? I'm not looking to breed (heavens no), again, just curious.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've heard p'lets compared to Betta fish (highly competitive/aggressive toward their own species). They tend to work best in male/female pairs, but even then, they should be separate from other pairs, because they can be aggressively territorial. They've even been known to kill their own mates when things don't go well in breeding season. That's easy for me to believe from what I've seen with mine too. I have had to separate my pair in the early spring when they got into too many fights. The rest of the year, they get along pretty well, with only a little bickering. They enjoy each other's company and preen each other. :)

Some people may have okay luck with young birds or perhaps birds who have grown up together, but I've heard other stories of situations that didn't work out so well. Overall, as adults, parrotlets are not usually a species that you can readily keep together in a flock. And, even a pair may have their rough seasons.

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
I've heard p'lets compared to Betta fish (highly competitive/aggressive toward their own species). They tend to work best in male/female pairs, but even then, they should be separate from other pairs, because they can be aggressively territorial. They've even been known to kill their own mates when things don't go well in breeding season. That's easy for me to believe from what I've seen with mine too. I have had to separate my pair in the early spring when they got into too many fights. The rest of the year, they get along pretty well, with only a little bickering. They enjoy each other's company and preen each other. :)

Some people may have okay luck with young birds or perhaps birds who have grown up together, but I've heard other stories of situations that didn't work out so well. Overall, as adults, parrotlets are not usually a species that you can readily keep together in a flock. And, even a pair may have their rough seasons.
Cool, very insightful, thanks! So probably the best best for me would be a double stacked unit. Ok, noted! Anyone else have anything more to add? :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I only have one plet, but I've read they can be extremely aggressive and territorial, and like Merlie said, even kill the other bird in "their" cage.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Try PMing Allison about her p'lets, or searching for Keeper, Kin and Kendalyn.

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
I have two plete's caged together :cool1:....Milo came about 6/7 months after Skylar because I felt so bad that the tiels would not play with her, she would try to play and they would all go running like the devil was after them :(....The plete's are the best of friends and have been inseperatable since :laughing12:

Evelyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
I have 2 P'lets, Noel (female) and Zack (male). Rescued Noel 2 years ago and then got Zack 1 year ago. They each have their own cage, I let them out to play with each other, Noel will put with him for about 1/2 hour, then I guess he gets on her nervous, like a little brother, and she starts chasing him :confused:, sometimes, I swear she gets a look on her face like she would like to kill him. I have to seperate them at least once a day, then I put them in their cages and in the evening Noel gets out again and Zack stays with me. I don't have to worry about any babies in this house.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I only have one and won't get another one because he has been the sole P'let for over 12 yrs with me. He is happy and healthy as just one. He does however have his large buddies that interact around his cage and he is kept near my Red Lored. I feel that they can live just like our Zons do cage wise by themselves. It rules out the issue of fights and one being picked on. They can live soley without their own kind. If I were to ever get another one that one too would be caged alone in their own place but they would be able to interact together when out. I am like Leslie here on this one and only for now. :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
After seeing Milo's behavior with Bartleby I'd be leery of letting another bird be in the same cage with him 24/7. He seems to be fine and then the next second I have to go intervene because Bartleby blinked at him wrong or something... not sure if plets are as fickle with their own species, but it's not something I'd want to test.

Of course every birdie is different, and Gaston may get along famously with another little birdie!

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I'd love more parrotlets but I just don't want to take the risk of Pepe getting hurt by another parrotlet/another parrotlet hurting him

crazy4birds

Meeting neighbors
I have 3 parrotlets, 2 pacifics male and female and a male spectacled. All have their own cage. My female is the boss and will only be nice when she wants to be. I do not trust her with my other males. She is very bonded to me and if she is with pacific male and I walk up she attacks the poor guy. So they do not have much play time. It is more work but I like having all my birds in their own cage.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I have two males living happily together in the same cage. They are about 1 1/2 years old now. Here's why I think it works.

1) Although from different clutches, they came from the same breeder and were caged together as soon as they had fledged, so they knew each other before I brought them home.

2) I don't think either one has a severely aggressive personality - just average or even low average.

3) They live together in a large flight cage.

4) They're fully flighted so that they can get away from one another before a little squabble turns into a big squabble.

5) They each have their own food bowls, and I actually put the bowls in the cage "at the same time," so neither is tempted to start eating in the other's bowl. (Really, the main reason for any squabbling.)

6) They are semi-tame (get on my shoulders, land on my hand, eat off of it, fly to the side of the cage when I walk into the room and start chattering to me), but neither has ever been "spoiled" by me so they don't fight over my attention.

It works and I think the quality of their lives together is worth the risk that one would injure the other, although should I ever notice that they've started fighting or that one is getting very aggressive, I would most certainly separate them For now, they are adorable as they play together, preen each other, and sleep snuggled together.

(I had multiple linnies living together in a double flight cage at one time, and some were quite peaceful, a couple were average, and one was extremely aggressive - towards the other birds and me. Needless to say, I had to move him. He was the most aggressive bird I've ever had, and I've had a few over the last few decades. :) So...the bird's individual personalities play a big part, imo.)

Just remember that it is a risk. I know of parrotlets that have killed their partners or cage mates, so you have to believe that their quality of life together is worth the risk. In our particular case, I believe it is.

Last edited:

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I'm of no help yet..My mom has 2, they are siblings, but they are just that, babies..So we'll see how it goes once they are mature and breeding season starts effecting them..

Status
Not open for further replies.