• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many hours a day do you spend with your Grey?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't think I spend enough time with Paco, even after 2 years, he still shakes when I get near him. He is 23 and I really don't know what to do. He had 2 previous owners that neglected him. I hand feed him his warm veggies twice a day, it the only way he eat them. I worry when I leave him alone, I finally found some pumpkin seeds and he adores them. I got home late last night and was eager to give them to him. I did our usual I have goodies, I have a treat for you, he took it out of my hand and threw it at me. I was like oh, so I gave him another one and he struck out fast as a snake and bit me, hard. I just felt so discourage, one, he hasn't bitten in a long time and two, I thought he would love the seeds. He is plucking more now, I have now changed jobs AGAIN, but its during the day so I am home more. I get so frustrated and welcome any suggestions.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
On average, 6 hours a day. Her setup is right next to my desk/in the middle of my home. Her cage is open and she usually hangs out on her tree beside me or on my shoulder. If I go to the back of the house, she is free to join me if I don't pick her up and she does that about 30% of the time. She does to spend more time in or on top of her cage on the 3 to 4 days per week when the toddlers are here.

With Paco, it sounds like you are providing him with a loving home. It sounds like you are giving him attention and space. Can you tell his bite triggers?
You might need to adjust your expectations as he might not be ever able to deliver what you fully hope. He accepts the warm feedings, so there is a level of trust and to find that method was creative. He landed in a good place after so much trauma. I have few expectations of Louise. If she wants to step up, fine. If not, fine also- she can hang out where she wishes. She has choice in almost all activities, the exceptions are where her safety is at stake- when she flies where it is not safe (couch, in kitchen when there is cooking--she always perches on the faucet but that is still too close, she can share any meal that is bird safe...). I guess my point is, continue to invite/offer and be ok with Paco's choice.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh I didn't have any expectations. I was just hoping after two years he would have calmed down more. He is afraid of everything and I mean everything. I think both owners must have left him in his cage in a corner and ignored him. He doesn't forage, doesn't like red peppers, no new toys, even if I fold laundry near him he fluffs up. I do know his bite triggers, I guess that's why I was so caught off guard he struck out like a snake. The only thing I can do his keep doing what I'm doing, I spend as much time with him as I can and hopefully he will calm down. The poor guy had a water bottle when I got him, full of brown dirty water, he smelled and so did his cage. They put plastic on the sides of it and there was 2 feet of soiled paper.

He gained weight and stopped plucking then Covid hit. I ended up taking a job at night and he didn't like it. So we are pretty much starting over with the trust and routine thing again. He has learned to scootch over when I ask so I can his water bowl with no bites, he has learned a new whistle and he even made up his own whistle for me when I say good bye, it warms my heart. He is a joy and I will just have to be patient, thank you for your advice.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
I work nights so I am home from 9am to 1030pm. My routine with Max is I come home and after my dog and cat get my attention I come over to Max and say good morning Max and his usually response is a loud beep. If he's happy and wants to he already has on foot in the air to step up and I take him into the bedroom where he has a large tree stand. I tell him I'm taking a nap and he usually knows this and is happy to be with me and let's me sleep. When I wake up around 1pm he is still on his perch and I bring him back to his cage so he can eat or drink. So pretty much ALL DAY he is with me

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
You are very lucking when I had to take a job working 4pm to midnight, we both didn't adjust well, he was confused and I was tired all of the time. His plucking got worse. I am back to 8am to 5 pm but he is still adjusting.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Max came to me plucking and I somehow managed to get him to stop. Luckily for me there is usually someone always home. Though if his beeping gets to be too much the person that is home puts him on the tree stand in my room. Max actually enjoys being alone... until I come home or if we are hosting a party and everyone is in the kitchen and Max is on his cage in the living room then he let's everyone know he wants in on the party. He is actually a pretty quiet African Grey... for a grey that is. Hahaha

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
What did you do to help him to stop plucking? I have seen photos of Paco a year ago on memories on FB and he had more feathers. When I first got him he was in sad shape, but he gained weight and quit plucking. With the job change he went back to plucking. I am at a lost on what to do.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
I think what helped is moving the two cages apart. I think other parrots stress him out. I have another parrot, Zazu and when I first moved I just put their cages next to eachother but not close enough where Max could nip at Zazus toes. The cages have been apart for about 2 months and the plucking has stopped. I always just give him love and lots of time with me. He let's me know when he wants me around or not. I usually come home and say hello and go about my business. If he wants me and I go into my room after a while he will start beeping. I'll wait for him to stop and then come out to get him. Currently I have Zazu out on the tree stand. Y the front window and Max is on his cage and im in the bedroom and he's okay with being out there by himself..

Ya just gotta watch and observe what they do and what they want.