• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many budgies?

alexe277

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
Hey all, I’m new to keeping birds and looking to get my first set up goung. I’ve been doing plenty of research, and decided on getting some budgies. Their personality and housing seems to fit in best with what I’m looking for :) what I’m trying to decide on currently is how many of these guys to get. I’m thinking either 2 or 4 - was considering 6 but after doing more research I think this would be a bit hectic haha. When looking I can only really find any info about keeping 1 vs keeping 2, but nothing about 4. Any suggestions as to pros and cons? Is 4 going to be too much to keep up with, or too loud? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You need to ask yourself questions first. How much space do I have for a large cage? Start with 2 pairs in an oversize cage to see how you get on,then add if you want. Once above 3 or 4 birds you start to see some true flock dynamics come into it, plus an exponential increase in their chatter. You won't really notice any more work in their care - yes there's more poop to clean up but it's spread over the same area (I'm old skool hot water and elbow grease) .
You also need to think about holidays and transport cages.
Insurance? There's a big word. The insurers I got quotes from wanted paying for each individual bird, so I went with a lump sum in a seperate account for emergencies.
Neighbours? You've already expressed hesitance over noise levels. It's a constant chatter with occasional naps. The only time mine get really loud is if there's something wrong, usually if Im late feeding them.
I like to keep pairs. It does seem to be better for them socially. Right now though, due to a recent bereavement I'm down to five, 3 male and 2 female. They seem okay for now but I'm watching for anything (an excuse for another girl?)
I don't interact with them as much as others do, but I do get the occasional preen. To me there's nothing better than just sitting among them watching the flock dynamic. There's always a new sound or something new to see.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just to show you my setup here's a link. The main cage would be okay for 8 but 6 fit with room to spare - it's 5ft long.

alexe277

Real Name
Alex
Wow thanks for the info! I’m looking at getting a cage similar to the one below, it’s a good size and don’t have room to go much larger than this. How many would you recommend housing in a setup of this size? I actually don’t have any neighbors on that side of my house I’m concerned about noise levels my wife will accept I also want to let these guys out of their cage a fair bit and don’t want it to get too hectic while they’re out lol, I plan on keeping them in the room the cage will by while they’re out as I have cats. So that should contain it to a degree. Also wondering if while they’re out, them pooping all over the room, if there is less of them I can keep a better eye on things and avoid some of the clean up. Big decision to make deciding on numbers because once I buy a cage obviously I’ll be set as to how many I can keep within that size

alexe277

Real Name
Alex
Just to show you my setup here's a link. The main cage would be okay for 8 but 6 fit with room to spare - it's 5ft long.
missed the link! Here’s what I was referencing in my previous comment:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 8 males. The first 3 were a coincidence & I wasn’t going to go above 4 so got another male. Mine are largely happy, except I believe Ernest, #8, would like a female based on observed behaviour.

Obviously 16 budgies would be too much, but I feel for him. I’m not sure it’d be the wisest move to get a lone female & expect the 6 with buddies not to fall out over his potential new friend.

Of course, this means I avoid the ethical dilemma of eggs & what to do.

I agree with Ripshod about a vet fund. I do this. If I were to insure all my pets individually, I’d have a hefty monthly bill. But you need to be disciplined & truly set the money aside.

If noise is a factor, I’d not go above 4, 2 depending on the building’s construction. More than 4 is very noticeable, but that could just be because mine are all males.

Also, don’t be like me. Get to really know your budgies early on before getting more. My tamest are my first two - not a coincidence. But the bravest is #7, so maybe it’s down to personality.

Lastly, if you want any to potentially share a cage, get them at the same time! Otherwise one budgie will claim a whole cage & never share.

If you’d like multiples, I’d honestly recommend either 2 or 4, due to your noise concerns. And I’d recommend you get them two at a time, having set up two identically sized flight cages.

Edited to add that air quality is another consideration. I just got another Rabbit Air filter. You only get one set of lungs. Having read a lot about hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people recently I decided it was necessary. You’ll need to budget for at least one good filter no matter the species of bird.

Last edited:

alexe277

Real Name
Alex
I have 8 males. The first 3 were a coincidence & I wasn’t going to go above 4 so got another male. Mine are largely happy, except I believe Ernest, #8, would like a female based on observed behaviour.

Obviously 16 budgies would be too much, but I feel for him. I’m not sure it’d be the wisest move to get a lone female & expect the 6 with buddies not to fall out over his potential new friend.

Of course, this means I avoid the ethical dilemma of eggs & what to do.

I agree with Ripshod about a vet fund. I do this. If I were to insure all my pets individually, I’d have a hefty monthly bill. But you need to be disciplined & truly set the money aside.

If noise is a factor, I’d not go above 4, 2 depending on the building’s construction. More than 4 is very noticeable, but that could just be because mine are all males.

Also, don’t be like me. Get to really know your budgies early on before getting more. My tamest are my first two - not a coincidence. But the bravest is #7, so maybe it’s down to personality.

Lastly, if you want any to potentially share a cage, get them at the same time! Otherwise one budgie will claim a whole cage & never share.

If you’d like multiples, I’d honestly recommend either 2 or 4, due to your noise concerns. And I’d recommend you get them two at a time, having set up two identically sized flight cages.

Edited to add that air quality is another consideration. I just got another Rabbit Air filter. You only get one set of lungs. Having read a lot about hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people recently I decided it was necessary. You’ll need to budget for at least one good filter no matter the species of bird.
This is helpful information, thank you! Would you recommend 2 or 4? I’m kinda stuck between getting one or two pairs. I posted a link above to the cage I’m considering getting. Would this house two pairs? I like the idea of getting 4 but I think keeping an eye on two while they’re out of their cage would be easier - especially when it comes to cleaning up poop around the room. How much do these guys poop while outside of their cage? That’s a big factor for me in if I want 4 of them, if this is pretty frequent I think keeping an eye on 2 of them and cleaning up after 2 may be a better idea, but if this isn’t much of a concern I may get 4

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would start with two personally. I think the cage you linked is a good size cage for 2 budgies but I'm not sure about 4, especially since you mentioned you don't have room to go much bigger than this so if any fighting/bullying, etc were to happen and you need to separate the birds for whatever reason it might become an issue. I think the best setup would be one of the flight cage you linked for each pair. So two of the cages if you were getting 4.

How much do these guys poop while outside of their cage? That’s a big factor for me in if I want 4 of them, if this is pretty frequent I think keeping an eye on 2 of them and cleaning up after 2 may be a better idea, but if this isn’t much of a concern I may get 4
They poop A LOT. I think my Bitty pooped at least once every 10-15 min. They have small bodies and fast metabolism so they need to constantly poop, regardless of outside or inside their cage when they need to go they will go.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Get your wife to visit somewhere with happy budgies before bringing them into your home. I’m banned from getting a second budgie again in our current housing situation as my budgies chatter actually drives my mum and son crazy and tbh I struggle with the constant budgie chatter.
Some people love their chatter and others find it too much. The volume from them isn’t crazy loud like larger birds but it’s still a constant particular tone that some find too much.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've had 3 boys. Currently 2 boys. Happy chatter all day. I enjoy it and easy to tune out

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It makes me terribly anxious at times.
We are all different and sensitive to different sounds.

I really love budgies happy chatter it makes me smile they start as soon as the sun is up. But about 40mins later getting squawking from the quakers is not enjoying.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Hey all, I’m new to keeping birds and looking to get my first set up goung. I’ve been doing plenty of research, and decided on getting some budgies. Their personality and housing seems to fit in best with what I’m looking for :) what I’m trying to decide on currently is how many of these guys to get. I’m thinking either 2 or 4 - was considering 6 but after doing more research I think this would be a bit hectic haha. When looking I can only really find any info about keeping 1 vs keeping 2, but nothing about 4. Any suggestions as to pros and cons? Is 4 going to be too much to keep up with, or too loud? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I think its best to start of with one pair and see how you get on. Budgies are loud and can get very irritable and there constant screams can cause a nuisance to neighbors.

Google searches will say they are the most quiet birds you can own but they are far from quiet, however they maybe the most quiet of the parakeet species. When you first get them they may be quite to start with but once they fully settle in they will start to become more noisy.

Its best to get a male and female although if buying from a pet store they will be babies and there cere isn't colored in order to tell which is male or female. You should never add any nesting boxes until they are at least 2 years old.

I know people who have bought budgies then soon regretted it.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I have two budgies right now and am considering another one or two, and I do feel this is hard to answer without specific questions, but I’ll do my best!

I definitely feel it would be best to start out with two, because 4 might be to loud and messy for a new budgie owner (I have two and sometimes it’s hard to keep their area clean lol). You have to remember that every budgie you get means more of everything, a bigger cage, more food expenses, more noise, etc. I think it’s always best to see how much you can handle first!

If you have any specific questions please do ask!