• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How many birds on AA are clicker trained?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
For those who don't clicker train, how have you been training your birds?

I've had Chaucer for a month now. I have not formally started clicker training, but I do positively reinforce Chaucer with either food rewards or praise like "good boy" and kisses. However, Chaucer doesn't always step up but he does step up around 3/4 of the times. For the other quarter, it takes a lot of coaxing or sometimes he just doesn't listen and does his own thing. He is well behaved for the most part so I'm unsure if I should start using a clicker and pointer.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So far we are a food motivated house hold :lol: I do have a clicker in my cart on Amazon though, I just have to buy it :o:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
No clicker training here. My quaker was trick trained, but I didn't use a clicker. She was very food and praise motivated, so training came naturally, and she learned wave, peekaboo, rolling over, etc. within a day or two. Olive, on the other hand, is not food motivated AT ALL. It's thrown all my clicker training plans out the window because she just doesn't care. Except occasionally when there are scrambled eggs on my plate. ;)

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I'm clicker training Baby (my foster) and he is making great progress! Juni also has fun doing tricks for the clicker. :)

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I don't use a clicker, but i train using the same principles. :) Here, instead of a "click", we use the word "good" as a bridging stimulus before a treat. I haven't bothered with a clicker because i like having my hands free to cue and treat.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't use a clicker, but i train using the same principles. :) Here, instead of a "click", we use the word "good" as a bridging stimulus before a treat. I haven't bothered with a clicker because i like having my hands free to cue and treat.

Agreed Here!!!! :D You can't teach a bird to ride a bike with a clicker in your hand. ;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well, I suppose that depends on what you consider clicker training! LOL! I've done a lot of clicker training with Tuchis but do it the same way Belinda and Sarah do it, using a word instead of a click from a clicker to bridge. I think it's fun when they finally get the idea. I clicker trained Cooper and Taco for a while but Tuchis would get all huffy about it and I couldn't do it with other birds unless I put Tuchis away. Both Cooper and Taco caught on very quickly and loved it. The only bird who I really did anything with was Tuchis though who can turn around in a circle, shake "hands", and waves on command but only if there is food around. I tried teaching him to retrieve but boy was he not interested in that!:)

I want to train Kishie too but we never seem to have enough hours in the day to get around to it. I got him as a fully flighted 5 month old "toddler" and I had step up issues with him as well when he was younger. I really think my problem with him was the only time I asked him to step up was when I was returning him to his cage because I had to go somewhere. Because he was fully flighted, he could get anywhere he wanted to. When I realized my mistake, I started having him step up just to go from one place to another and now, at two, he steps up almost 100% of the time.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I've done a bit of clicker training here. I used clicker training on a foster B&G who was very cage aggressive, and it worked beautifully. However, she was very food motivated, so it worked. Of my flock, Makana shows a mild interest occasionally, but isn't that food motivated, and praise doesn't impress her very much. Pipkin looks at me like she's saying, "You've got to be kidding".:huh: Topaz loves it! He gets all wiggly and happy. He's really good at targeting (he gets a chomp on a millet spray as his reward). I haven't gone beyond that, but I really should. Katie (new Cape) so far is not food motivated, and is only mildly praise motivated. Hopefully, as time goes on and we establish our relationship, she'll be more responsive. I'd love to have it work for her.

featherbabies

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barbara
I've target and clicker trained both Tigger and Mickey. I also don't use a clicker, but the word yes. I know for me, I lose the clicker if I sit it down! I use the word "good" so often, that "yes" works better. Clicker training is how I taught Mickey to give me five :heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've target and clicker trained both Tigger and Mickey. I also don't use a clicker, but the word yes. I know for me, I lose the clicker if I sit it down! I use the word "good" so often, that "yes" works better. Clicker training is how I taught Mickey to give me five :heart:
That's totally awesome! I really need to get my butt in gear and get Tuchis doing some other things as well as traing Kishie. He's so food motivated and just motivated in general. I bet he'd be a great candidate for all sorts of silly tricks! Of course we are in training mode with the Littles too.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same here :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's great idea! I think I will be doing this instead. Thanks for the tip!

Onur34

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Onur SOPACI
I use a clicker I think that without it it would be impossible for me to make me understand to my birdie what I want only in 2 days.. I am not exprerienced enough to train only with cues..

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
I clicker train my Senegal. I started clicker training my dogs over 15 years ago. Before that I trained using a word as a bridge (yes) and I just found using a clicker worked better for us than a word bridge (sharper sound that's easy to separate from the rest of the environment and much quicker for me to get the sound out) especially for behaviors I need to teach with small steps.

One example is when I decided to teach Eco to spin, I decided I wanted a challenge and was going to work on it by shaping rather than using a target stick. It's always been an easy trick to teach dogs by shaping. It did end up being a challenge with Eco. He just doesn't give as much movement as dogs tend to. So it was very small steps- small head turns, foot lifting, shifting his body- and timing was important because these were small movements. We finally got it after a few weeks.

I've gotten good at being able to juggle, my clicker, treat and any prop I need, but if I need my hands free, I use a tongue click. I do wait until after I've trained 1 or 2 tricks with the clicker so I am sure they understand what the click means.

Status
Not open for further replies.