• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How loud do quakers get

cade74

Checking out the neighborhood
There’s this blue Quaker at my local petco who has been there for MONTHS, I feel so bad for him cause he’s clearly stressed and has been plucking his feathers. I would get him and give him a nice loving home but the only problem is my stepdad works night shifts. So while I’m at school and not here to give the bird attention (which is when I assume he’ll be his loudest) I don’t want him waking my stepdad. The distance between my room and where my stepdad sleeps is I’d say give or take 25 feet, as well as downstairs, and there would be 2 doors inbetween him and the bird (the door to my room, and the door separating the upstairs and downstairs) if you don’t think he’d really be able to hear the bird then I’ll start doing research on their care right away, but if not then I guess there’s nothing I can really do

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have had Quakers. You can hear them on the opposite side of a house, on two different levels, with two closed doors.

Mine I could hear halfway down the block with all the windows closed .

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ah, well that sucks, thanks anyway for the answer though
It's good that you asked before you brought him home. You might discuss it with your step dad and see how he feels about it. I don't have quakers but conures and even I can hear them when I'm outside my house.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have 7 Quakers, I also work night shifts, I have light timers that I set on at a certain time and off at a certain time, My flock is pretty good at staying quiet, they usually play with their toys quietly, untill they hear me get up, then they all will flock call to me. My flock does have their moments when they can be loud at times, when they know its their times to come out for playtimes and when its their supper times, They know when I am home on my nights off. On the nights I work, I leave the radio on for them, then when i come home at midnight, for my supper, I turn it off.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Mine can be super loud. She reminds me of a sun conure at times. Also when we are not around she screeches and chatters constantly. She can be super quiet at times also. When we put her to bed at night and cover her cage she doesn't make a peep. I'm sorry to hear about the poor bird in the pet store. We saw one for 800 and I'm sure he's still there. It's so sad that these highly intelligent creatures are stuck in pet stores without the care and attention they deserve.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
QPs are capable of being loud, but that doesn't necessarily mean one will be. My QP Ralph is on the quiet side, and is only really loud when he does a Quaker alarm call. There was a Quaker in a local pet store who was one of the louder birds there, competing with a B & G Macaw and a pair of Sun Conures, all of whom have strong voices. It pretty much depends on the individual parrot.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
QPs are capable of being loud, but that doesn't necessarily mean one will be. My QP Ralph is on the quiet side, and is only really loud when he does a Quaker alarm call. There was a Quaker in a local pet store who was one of the louder birds there, competing with a B & G Macaw and a pair of Sun Conures, all of whom have strong voices. It pretty much depends on the individual parrot.

I agree. My first Quaker was very loud but the Quaker I have now is not loud at all.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine compete with the sun conures to see who can be the loudest.