• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How loud are Red tail black cockatoos on a scale of 1 to 10.

Copasetic

Sitting on the front steps
I've heard that they're usually quieter than other cockatoos.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
You'd have to meet one to know the sound, but they are so rare and expensive outside of Australia you probably couldn't get one if you live outside Australia.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also, some people mean "they sound off less frequently" when they say "quieter". My Jardine's is quiet in that he doesn't yell very often. But when he does it sounds like a flock of seagulls are in my living room.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I'm not sure that we have any as pets on the Avenue
I believe most of the members with them haven't log on in a while.

You'd have to meet one to know the sound, but they are so rare and expensive outside of Australia you probably couldn't get one if you live outside Australia.
And if you do live in Aus a licence is required.

I have actually met some before, but cannot remember how loud they are.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Casey used to have one, but she has not posted in a very long time. You can read her threads to learn more about the species. Just keep in mind that in most countries this species is very rare and expensive.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are a cockatoo so they are loud!

I am actually very shocked at how much cheaper they are here than any macaw. The redtail black cockatoo (here in Aus) is between 1k and 3k whereas a macaw is really fairly cheap if it is only priced at 3K.

Aves

They are wonderful birds, but a hand raised red tail has all the same quirks of any other

they get very attached and needy, which of course leads to plenty of noise haha

My male is handraised and bonded to me big time, and my female is an aviary bird.
They live cage free in a bedroom together

they're both very different animals, honestly.

overall Id describe them as very calm and gentle birds. They're certainly not prone to biting and are big softies.

They're wonderful but plenty of work being so large.

lots of chewing, creating lots of mess haha

I'd probably describe them overall as big sooky lalas with a heart of gold...and lungs of steel!
I think they're more gentle than other cockatoos.

If there's anything specific you wanted to know, let me know.

here's some photos over the years.
my male is 4 on Monday and has lost almost all his juvenile spots and striped tail, but Im behind on photos.
so the less spotty bird is my male,
the very spotty and stripey bird is my female.
the bird outside is a redtailed male from the zoo getting a scratch from my partner.

Last edited:

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
We live in the hills of Perth Western Australia and flocks of them living in our area, they are very very loud birds and personally I would like to live with one...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:lol: go into the kitchen and get a large steel pot and a big spoon. Now go sit on the couch and bang the bottom of that pot with the spoon as hard as you can for about 20 minutes. If your ears are ringing after that, you now have a sense of how loud they can be. :D

BirdWorld

I don't know anything about them in particular, but since the word "cockatoo" is in their name I'll be going with 1000000 out of 10.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Casey used to have one, but she has not posted in a very long time. You can read her threads to learn more about the species. Just keep in mind that in most countries this species is very rare and expensive.
Hi Matt!

I keep meaning to come back to the site, but there's just so much I want to say that I always stop!
I miss the site and the people

In my experience black cockatoos are loud, but in a different way then other cockatoos.

their voices are more prehistoric/dinosaur sounding (Im not really sure how to describe it, but ive had many people say they sound like what they imagine a dinosaur would!)

They can be extremely loud, but in my experience that was when they were upset and could do a very shrill noise.

One of my favourite things about the Magnificus red tail subspecies was their deep voices. I found that much easier on the ears.

I didn't find them to be very noisey during dawn and dusk like some other cockatoos (such as corellas and galahs who can be extremely noisey at these times).

I will try and come back later and post properly,

Hope everyone is well.