• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long to wait?

AbleHazard

Moving in
Real Name
Samara Gagne
I brought in a second lovebird previously and have now introduced them in a split aviary sharing one wall; today is day two and they have no signs of biting, posturing, etc. They haven't been introduced otherwise.

My question is how do I know when they're kosher? The intent is for them to bond. They're sleeping pressed up against each other where the separation is. They have plenty of room to sleep elsewhere on similar items.

I don't want to rush this at all.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

AbleHazard

Moving in
Real Name
Samara Gagne
That is the right approach.

How do they act when you let them out together supervised?
I haven't tried yet. I figured scope them out separated first then try. I could give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes. What should I keep a sharp eye out for?

Thank you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I haven't tried yet. I figured scope them out separated first then try. I could give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes. What should I keep a sharp eye out for?

Thank you!

That one will go after/gang up on the other one. In that case you physically step in separate them. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen if they sleep close together already.

I would still not house them together "unsupervised" for a number of weeks no matter how they act. Observe. Learn. Evaluate. Take it from there.

AbleHazard

Moving in
Real Name
Samara Gagne
That one will go after/gang up on the other one. In that case you physically step in separate them. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen if they sleep close together already.

I would still not house them together "unsupervised" for a number of weeks no matter how they act. Observe. Learn. Evaluate. Take it from there.
Perfect, thank you so much.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I agree.......because there is usually a "honeymoon" phase where everybody acts so "chill" civilized, LOL. But hopefully the honeymoon phase will stick and they will continue to bond and and grow to like each other even more. It certainly sounds good so far!