• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long should linnies be left alone?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
How much time do you guys recommend for linnies to spend with/without human interaction?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am retired so I spend a lot of time with Gigi. I might run a few errands in the morning, sometimes see friends or go out to lunch or dinner, but I am home a lot of every day. We also have company, family and friends are here often and Gigi is in a central location for socializing. She is a single bird so my husband and I are her flock.

Last edited:

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
We also have company, family and friends are here often and Gigi is in a central location for socializing.
Thats wonderful! Maybe I should place my (hopefully future) linnie in the living room were most of my family usually is? (I have 6 people in my household)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Like Dona said, when the bird lives alone, the humans become the flock and they need attention.

Regardless, it is important that when you are work or school you leave plenty of foraging activities to keep the bird/s entertained in a large cage alongside other toys.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think your bird should definitely be where the family is- at least during the day. They're flock animals so usually they don't like being alone.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have my own experience but Gigi loves company and the more action the better. I have 4 little grandchildren that are active and noisy and Gigi spends a lot of the time on the bottom of the cage trying to get a closer look. She plays energetically with her toys to impress them. She does all her trick whistles and sounds! She is not afraid at all. They can all ask to touch her beak and she comes to the close edge of the cage for a gentle touch. Last week she came out of the cage when they were here. They all calmly sat on the sofa and Gigi flew out of her cage. Eventually she landed on the back of the sofa and paced back and forth, thinking she wanted to drop down on a little shoulder but couldn't get up the nerve. :) But they loved seeing her fly! Mimi (me) was a little nervous but I supervised very carefully.

And on the flip side, if I read a book sitting next to her cage, she often comes down at my level, plays, eats and then takes a little nap. Gigi clearly is thriving because we spend a lot of time with her. If I couldn't commit this amount of time and energy, I would have probably gotten a pair from the start. More than likely, it would have been a completely different experience.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We "recommend" no time alone. A solitary bird is a lonely bird. That's why they live in "flocks".