• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How long should budgie toenails be?

donutweall

Walking the driveway
I'm trying to figure out what's "normal" for budgie toenail length, and google hasn't been very helpful. I tried to get a shot where the quick was visible as well- it looks like there is a break in it (marked in blue)- looks like this in person as well. Does that mean theoretically cutting anywhere below the break is safe, even though there still a bit of red? I think his toenails are too long because when he stands flat the toes curl inward instead of staying straight like my other budgie. I was thinking of cutting at the green line so that the bottom of the nail is in line with the bottom of the toe. What do you think? Photos of "normal" length nails would be helpful, I had a hard time understanding with just the text descriptions I read.

Thank you!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
To help you determine, stand your bird on a table or kitchen counter. Somewhere flat. Toes should lay flat with the surface, not hovering above because the nails are too long and force the toes up. Watch them walk on the surface too, sometimes they can stand a little weird on one foot.

I posted some pictures here if you want a visual :)

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
@Zara is right, but budgies nails are ok if they are just a bit longer than recommended!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The worst thing you can do is have a budgie's nails clipped too short. If they can't use them to help them grip perches it makes them feel insecure.
@Zara's advice is spot on. Better than clipping though is providing a variety of different perches and platforms so the nails wear down naturally.