• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long of a shower do you take with your bird?

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
I was getting ready to take a shower this morning and remembered that many people I've talked to online suggest taking a shower with your bird.

But I'm wondering how long is ok, and how long is too long?

Because I shave in the shower, and take at least a 30 - 45 min shower.

Would it be safe for me to have them in there with me for that long?

Because I don't want to have to climb out of the shower, dry off, go put them up, and then have to go get back in the shower to finish.

I know showers are good for birds, especially during the winter time when it's so cold to help them not have dry skin among other thing as well.

So what's the appropriate or safe ammount of time to spend in the shower with your bird?

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Oh, I’m bumping this thread up so that others (who know more) can help you. If no one replies, the thread will be pushed down and not as many people will be about to see it and help you.

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
Oh, I’m bumping this thread up so that others (who know more) can help you. If no one replies, the thread will be pushed down and not as many people will be about to see it and help you.
@Shilpa Ohhhhhhhhh! Gotcha..... I just saw where you said report under that and I couldn't figure out why you would want to report me lol.

Thanks!

birdiecare

Meeting neighbors
Would you have your pets directly under the water at all times during your shower? Also, what temperature would the water be? I would say if they're not directly under the water 20 minutes is OK. But to be extra careful maybe they can shower after you just to avoid any risks. I'm not an expert and I still think 20 minutes is a bit much it depends. Hopefully, more people see this thread.

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
Would you have your pets directly under the water at all times during your shower? Also, what temperature would the water be? I would say if they're not directly under the water 20 minutes is OK. But to be extra careful maybe they can shower after you just to avoid any risks. I'm not an expert and I still think 20 minutes is a bit much it depends. Hopefully, more people see this thread.
@birdiecare no they wouldn't be under the water all the time, I'd let them get under the show head if they wanted just to get a bath, and then set them on a shower caddy rack I have, while I finnish my shower, until I'm done.

As for the water temp, I usualy turn the hot and cold on all the way so it's a 50/50 mix of hot and cold water. Unless I'm super cold in which case I turn the cold water down just a little. Or if I'm not I'll turn the hot water down just a little.

Honestly I've never had |other of them take a shower so I'm not sure how they will react, the older one doesn't like to get into the kitchen sink, and will only halfway bath in a bowl that's kinda cold, otherwise he has no interest in taking a dip at all.

But I would like to introduce my new 10 week old baby to the shower, so that she can shower with me and not be afraid of it.

birdiecare

Meeting neighbors
@birdiecare no they wouldn't be under the water all the time, I'd let them get under the show head if they wanted just to get a bath, and then set them on a shower caddy rack I have, while I finnish my shower, until I'm done.

As for the water temp, I usualy turn the hot and cold on all the way so it's a 50/50 mix of hot and cold water. Unless I'm super cold in which case I turn the cold water down just a little. Or if I'm not I'll turn the hot water down just a little.
Like I said to be extra careful maybe you could shower them alone after OR shower with them once you're done so you don't have to do anything except play with them in the water.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
@Shilpa Ohhhhhhhhh! Gotcha..... I just saw where you said report under that and I couldn't figure out why you would want to report me lol.

Thanks!
Lol the report button is under every post. If you click on it, you can report other’s posts (if you find it not suitable for the forum in some way). I get how that can be confusing though :roflmao: The text and the report button are in the same font!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't use any soaps etc while in the shower with my bird, and I also do it at a lower temp, so for me it is whenever he is done, about 5 to 10 minutes. Then I put him back on his cage, get back in the shower and crank up the heat and actually wash etc :lol: