• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long does it take to truly bond with a lovebird?

Spoopy

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey everyone! I've had my peach-faced lovebird Rio for about 10 months (I got him when he was 6 weeks old) and things have been going alright. I've done a good amount of training sessions with him and he steps up mostly every time I command him to, if not I just have to push him a little more. He is a little annoying, as he's always nibbling my fingers or my headphones and ears while I'm at my desk. The thing that concerns me the most though is how I can never really pet him. When I stroke him he kind of stands up and looks more alert and might nibble on my fingers. Sometimes he'll even chirp at my fingers and sometimes fly or run to avoid them. Are these problems that can just be fixed by spending time and getting him more acquainted to me? If not, what can I do to fix these problems? And how long do you think it takes to truly bond with a lovebird and have a true friendship?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My Jaime is a nibbler. He never stops. Fingers, my boyfriends headphones, my clothes, my hair. I´ve just accepted it. He also doesn´t like to be petted or stroked much.

I think of it like some people greet others with a hug... other greet with a handshake... and then there´s the people who give the awkward wave.

You can´t make your bird like being stroked, they like it or they don´t.

Rio doesn´t bite you, he´s not scared of you and he will step up for you. I´d say that´s a great little bird you have there :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Don’t push anything:) It sounds like he does not enjoy to be petted, can he get away? I could be wrong of course, as I do not see the situation, but that is what it sounds like to me. Keep the training up, make sure to give him positive experiences when possible and avoid negative experiences. Giving a treat every time you walk by, Reading to him, talking softly etc. Can help a lot. Eventually he Will trust you!:) Oh, also back off if he shows signs of fear, that way you show him you respect him, and that you can be trusted not to do things he doesn’t want. It took me I think two to three months to start connecting on a deep level with all my birds I think. With Some there was a connection from the beginning, others not, but whatever bond there was, it formed and strengthend over time:)

Reactions: tka

teena87

Meeting neighbors
My lovebird Harry that I've had for almost 2 years will take my finger off if I try to pet him and I certainly consider us bonded. He always comes to my finger, he loves spending time with me and family and sticks to us like glue most of the time. Occasionally, when he is relaxed towards the evening, he will let me pet him he and loves head scratches.....but only when he comes himself. He kind of bumps his head into my hand when he wants to be petted/scratched. Any other time - he cannot stand to have my 2nd hand to come over him - he will fly off or scream and bite as hard as he can. I have no issue catching him If I need to and he will go on my finger/shoulder wherever needed - so I just let him have his personal space as he clearly needs it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Some birds just don't like to be petted. It doesn't mean that they don't like you or that you're not bonded.