• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long do you have to feed freshly hatched baby parrots?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
A lil backstory- out tiels will not stop having babies. We wanted to move them to a different room with no breeding box for the remainder of the year, but needed to let them finish feeding their current babies before we moved them. They laid 5 more eggs before the babies were even 5 weeks. We let them finish feeding their babies, about 2 weeks, and then incubated the eggs and moved the parents.

Now here’s the issue.
One of the babies started hatching this last night, and in a couple hours I need to go to my brothers graduation, 3 hours away. That means atleast 6, most likely around 8 hours away from home. What if the baby hatches while I’m gone? Would it survive till I get back?
All 5 eggs are very alive. You can see them all moving around under light.
If anyone has any tips on how much to feed day old tiels aswell that would be appreciated
We’ve raised conures successfully from day one, but now I need to feed them from day one, and I’ve only fed them from 2 weeks and older.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep in mind that the yolk gets absorbed before a feed is given.

Speak to your chemist/pharmacy, ask and see if they sell 0.5CC syringes, if not then a 1CC or a small spoon. Both will be difficult and messy. Remember to wipe the chicks after the feed before the formula hardens.
When I buy syringes, if they come with the needle, I get the employee to open the packet and remove it - saves having to find a sharps box to put it in.

As for the time frames, I don't know. It will depend on when they hatch and how long to absorb the yolk.

For the future, I would boil your tiels eggs or use dummy eggs to avoid raising so many chicks. You may also want to look into a supplement given the frequency of laying. It is a conversation to have with your vet and monitor as cockatiels can quickly become chronic egg-layers.

If you have done the maths and the eggs will likely hatch tonight, then I would stay home, or have someone else stay in your home.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They will need fed at least every 2 hours around the clock.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I agree with Zara that next time your birds lay eggs you should replace them with dummy ceramic eggs. It’s very unhealthy for the female to lay so many eggs in a short period of time, it can make her very weak. Just keep this in mind for the future, and maybe look into giving her a calcium supplement so she can regain her proper mineral levels.