• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent How long do symptoms of poisoning take to appeat?

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
moved to diffrent forum sorry I am new I dont know how everyting works yet

Last edited:

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
SO. I have been having a pest problem in my house. The landlord put out poison, I didnt like it because I worried my birds would get into it but I didn't really have a choice. It's all in these little 'pet safe' container things. But, I have a GCC who is the most curious bird I have ever met. He was playing with his toy on the floor, and it rolled under the cabinet to where one of the bait stations is and I didn't think he could fit in the like one-inch gap under the cabinet so I was going to get his toy but was not in a hurry, and he squeezed under there and went after it! He was only under there for like a minute, I really don't think he could have gotten into anything in that time, he just wanted his ball, but I am still a horribly anxious pet mother. I have already taken in my birds twice in the last three months for completely false alarms where they turned out to be absolutely fine and just had one weird poo or bad day. He was potentially exposed about three hours ago- If he had ingested any he would show symptoms by now, right? I gave him activated charcoal right after the incident, washed him off incase he stepped on it (and washed his toy) and felt his crop wich felt empty. The mouse poison had chew marks on it but I think it was just from the mice, they didn't have the V shape like bird nibbles. But I know they can hold food in their crop for a long time and I am just worried. Please help a girl out.

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I do but they are closed. There is not an emergency avian vet within 2 hours of me only buisiness hours ones

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
And I have tried poison control as well but I was on hold for like 30 minutes so I came here

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I don't have a 24/7 vet within two hours of me and I have tried phone calling poison control but I was on hold for like 30 minutes and I am just very anxious so I thought I would try here

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why the eff would the landlord put that out? It's a horrible thing,,,Was it against your knowledge? I sincerely hope your birdie didnt get into that.. block off the areas he can squeeze into or better yet..get rid of those poison things... now..!! You dont want dead,,,dying mice or whatever it is inside the wall.theres more humane ways to deal with this,,.also, keep your baby caged until you get rid of that crap.... I'm thinking he just wanted his toy...and didn't get into it..activated charcoal is a good absorption for poison... wont hurt him either way....BUMP!!!!!

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I knew but there was not really anything I could do- I was hoping it would go okay since I am worried about them being near the mice just about as much as I am worried about them being near the poison. Honestly, I would have never thought he could get in that area. It is fully blocked off now, I just duct taped over the gap. Barely over an inch tall and he squeezed through. I agree that there are better ways to deal with the mice as well but my lease was up and I needed to renew and they had me agree to it because I was scared they would kick me out if I didnt.
I really don't think he got into it, he just went right back to playing with his ball and singing his songs. I do think he just wanted his toy back. and I game him the activated charcoal, a good bit of it! so if he got a tiny piece I figured that would help. I took all the poison and threw it away already or put it in the closet where I know he can't get to.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would think you would need to know exactly what poison was used so you know what poison your bird may have gotten into. There are many sorts of rat and mouse bait as many rodents become a little tolerant of certain baits. There may be a mix of poisons available in your apartment (in future ask for a product name so you know what you are dealing with in the event something happens) so my advice would be to contact the landlord to ask exactly what was put down and then start researching from there. Many baits for rodents make them either extremely thirsty (this is so they leave your walls/ roof for water) and many other baits basically cause thinning of the blood so they bleed out from the inside.
Keep a close eye on your bird for any changes in feet color or any changes in general. Not knowing exactly what bait has been used means not being able to find out what the likely symptoms would be for ingestion. I also think the activated charcoal in this instance was probably a good call.

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
Update, he just had droppings that had the charcoal in them so that means that he has emptied his crop and digested his food so I now feel comfortable saying that he must have not eaten any. And he is still just playing with his ball, poor little lad has no idea that his mother is having a crisis over here.XD
Thank you so much Shezbug for the reply, I will get on that first thing in the morning. So scary all the dangers that they face. I really appreciate you alls help, I am going to try to get some sleep now