• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long do female budgies' ceres stay blue?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Just wondering because Spring is over a year old and still has the baby cere, I thought that they usually have a tan or brown cere by then. Or does it vary? Not that I want hormones... :scared2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
just curious if the cere is only tannish brown when in breeding mode & if it reverts back to pale whitish blue in between breeding?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
just curious if the cere is only tannish brown when in breeding mode & if it reverts back to pale whitish blue in between breeding?
Again it depends on the individual budgie. A female in breeding condition will have a dark brown crusty cere, out of condition it normally goes a light tan. Occasionally we've seen a female go back to light blue/white.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Nope. They can be a dark brown colour and not in breeding mode. Sam can attest to that. She has had a brown cere for over 8 months now and is definitely NOT in breeding mode. I expect her cere will get crusty when or if she does go into breeding mode.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting, thank you! There is a budgie at the rescue whose cere is turning brown around her nostrils but is still blue elsewhere.

BirdWorld

Thanks everyone :)
So technically her cere could stay blue forever if she never gets hormonal or is that just my unrealistic wishful thinking and all girls are going to get hormonal at some point in their lives?