• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long did it take you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmurph43

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kim
Hi! So I will have had Lucy for 3 weeks this Thursday and I am still trying to figure her out. She makes 3 different chirping/crow like noises and i am still trying to figure out what they mean. She is NEVER loud unless I am vacuuming near her cage, she hates it. I know when she flaps just one wing, she is telling me that she is fine where she is and to leave her be. She bobs her head, but I don't know if that means leave me alone or get me out to play. She lowers her head and I know she wants me to pet her there. I guess I am learning some things about her, but most of it, I just can't read yet. How long did it take you all to know what your parrots wanted or what they were trying to tell you?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Hard to say - I think I'm still learning. :)

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
It is constant- parrot ownership requires flexibility and an open mind. They always have me on my toes. :)

Kmurph43

Real Name
Kim
I am very flexible and opened minded...just want to make sure I do right by her :) and can understand her as best I can. I have done so much research, maybe I just need to settle in and let things be...lol

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am still learning new things about each one of mine every day!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hard to say - I think I'm still learning. :)
Ditto, 6 years and still trying to decipher what they are telling me and learning everyday.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Everyone is correct, you never stop learning in reality. But that answer really does not help you. What you need is a guide to bird body language. There are several good ones from Sally Blanchard, Mattie Sue Athan, Barbara Heidenrich, and many others. But a little crash course here can help you.

I do not have a conure, which is what it looks like that is what you have. However, most birds can change the size of their irises in their eyes and that kind of 'flashing' usually means excitement. The trick is figuring if it is good excitement or aggressive excitement. For that you look at the feathers and the body language. If they are sitting or standing up straight, their eyes are flashing and their feathers are slicked down, it usually means they noticed something or they are unhappy or afraid. If they are more relaxed, feathers slightly fluffed or lose, maybe even lowering them body a little and flipping their wings or dipping their head, they want attention. If they are having a lowered body with slicked back feathers, head extended and beak open, that is a defensive/aggressive body stance and you should not touch your bird.

These are only a few scenarios and there are hundreds more. Visit some of the websites of the people I listed above, maybe get one of their books to help you learn. You have come to the right place to learn, however.

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
it is a blue headed pionus you have, correct? well i can tell you from experience with my two just watch out for the pionus strut!! :lol: really that is the only thing you need to be wary of in a pionus. they will fluff their feathers all over, and put their wings out, "dance", and some will make a squeaking, beeping noise. THAT is a sure fire "back off or I will bite!" sign. This typically dows not happen until maturity though, a few years, so you have a ways to go. But don't be confused with just a simple head fluff, sometimes they just want a good head scratch, and want you to know it! the head bobbing is most likely a baby motion, just a comfort thing, or even that she sees you as a care taker and wants you to feed her.

Just sit back, enjoy her company, and have fun. Take it one day at a time. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

Kmurph43

Real Name
Kim
Thanks everyone! Lois, I have read some body language stuff, what confuses me is when they say "this could mean this OR that"...LOL So thank you for your input!

Annaleza...Yes, she is BH pi! She is so much fun to watch as she explores, so I will take your advice and just sit back and enjoy her. Thank you! I have heard and read about the strut. It must be interesting to watch:lol:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Just stick to a routine that is good for both of you. Show her lots of love and affection but be firm, and it will be fine. You will learn from association what all her moves and sounds mean to her. Each bird is so different like people and remember a month in our lives is just like a day to them. Take it slowly and you will grow together, good luck.:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I do enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out just what these birdies are trying to tell me. Most of the times I can get it right, but sometimes, well,:headsmack:, the fids give me that "What in the world are you doing" look. I'm still learning-after 23 years of being owned by birds...

Status
Not open for further replies.