• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Long Did It Take To Convert Your Bird To a New Diet?

got seed?

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zach
I'm currently getting my bird to eat Tops pellets, his main diet is Zupreem/Higgins pellets and veggies. (You can never have too much variety) He took to it very quickly I got him to take a few bites on the first day, he's now eating it fine after two weeks. I was wondering how long it took other people to convert their birds to different diets. It took me about 4ish months to get him consistently eating pellets, and almost 7 months to get him to eat veggies. I'm really curious to know if there are any seed junkies who took to pellets really fast.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually about 6 months for pellets... I'm at 2 years for my Jardine's to get him to eat fresh foods!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My budgies took about 2 months to fully convert to getting them to consistantly eat pellets. My cockatiel about the same. My green cheek conures on the other hand tried pellets the first day I brought them home and have eaten them ever since. For veggies and chop they all tried them almost right away, but took about a month to start finishing all of the chop in the bowls.

got seed?

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zach
My budgies took about 2 months to fully convert to getting them to consistantly eat pellets. My cockatiel about the same. My green cheek conures on the other hand tried pellets the first day I brought them home and have eaten them ever since. For veggies and chop they all tried them almost right away, but took about a month to start finishing all of the chop in the bowls.
The first day you brought them!? Man they must be down to try anything

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
The first day you brought them!? Man they must be down to try anything
I know right? When I rescued them they had been on a very unhealthy seed only diet for a long time and I don't think they always had the opportunity to eat. So I think they were just happy to have something more substantial and just food in general.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
This may be a stupid question, but how do you know if your birds are eating the pellets?

I know they didn't like the Zupreem fruit flavor, which, if I'd known them better I probably could have guessed. They're not really big on fruit generally.

I think they're eating the Tops pellets, but maybe they're just grinding it to alfalfa dust and spitting the dust back into their dish. And I can't tell with the Harrison's teeny-tiny pellets at all.

All I really have to go on is that I know they're at least doing something with the Tops and they spend a lot of time at the designated pellet feeding dish. But, I can't really tell if that's 'cause they're eating the pellets or just digging through them in the hopes that maybe there's a cache of millet hidden under the pellets.

Overall, they seem to have a good amount of energy although they're always pretty interested in exploring the treats I put on the cage floor, so maybe they're looking to supplement their diet.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Erm... about a day lol. They were on zupreem when I got them but they ate lafebers as soon as I offered it.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
It only took about 2 month for my cockatiel as I encouraged her to eat pellets after hand feeding her.

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
1 day for my sun conure. I just introduced pellets to her last weekend and she started eating them directly out of a bowl the day after. I'm very lucky!