• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how long did it take for your fids to trust you?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Some it was a long time. Some it was right away.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Snagged this from their diary! (7 2 17) only ONE foot mind you! :rofl:

6 12 17 Fergus first day here (His name is Fergus Ricardo Ramon)
6 25 17 Fergus took millet from my hand in cage!
7 2 17 Fergus put one foot on my finger to eat millet in cage

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I don't really know when Puff started trusting me. I know for one that according to my Puff diary he stopped biting me (due to stranger danger not other factors) in a week (I am outside now and I'll when I get home) or was it four days.
Accepted scratches at that week too. I guess this is proof that he too,is drawn to me. I like mutual things.
That seriously is some fast progress considering many have not gotten their Amazons to trust after months or years.
And I am anticipating our first year anniversary in 40 days give or take.
Might be out of topic but what should I do that day on our anniversary? May 9th,that is. Keep in mind that he is not with me.
I will however post another thread on this at Bird Boulevard (as in the anniversary)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
For me a few days. When I figured out that she was hungry and needed to be hand-fed. When she saw the syringe, I was golden. And she has been running my life ever since.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It took Hank about 5 years to trust me. He had been physically abused for the 10 years before I got him. That's his picture to the left.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Still waiting on Secret (avatar Amazon) to fully trust me and the bird has been here at last since 2011!!!! Talk about trust issues! I'm grateful for the little things though. Occasionally head skeitches in morning or late night.

MC can't recall but he's my full fledged buddy.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Each fid is different & I think there are different levels of trust & history depending on age & circumstances. I got really lucky w/ Buddy & even tho he was my biological Dad's bird, I was a complete stranger to him. My Dad & I were not really close most of my life & near his last few years we talked on the phone & didn't really see each other much. If we did it was at things like family gatherings & picnics. Not somewhere Buddy would be.

I think the only thing that had saved me was food. He went days foraging in a stripped seed bowl & VERY dirty, rancid water dish. I think he was just happy to have fresh life supplies. Slowly we built on that moved him to our home & I was the one basically the only one caring for him. I'm glad though because we're super tight friends now! ;)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My first bird, Grace Cockatiel, was a hand fed baby, constantly handled gently and actually jumped on me to get my attention. Instant pet and she loved sitting on me to watch IV in the morning before I went to bed. Gracie Tiel was a wonderful bird. I decided she needed a mate since I slept all day. I bought Chip Tiel at PetSmart. Took me eight months before he would step up on my forearm and he never did allow me to handle him. All I had to do is say his name and point to where I wanted him to go and he landed right where I wanted him. Trimming nails was a little risky, but he was extremely flexible for a badly hand shy bird.