• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how long can you leave your birds for?

animalover

Jogging around the block
my family and I are leaving the house tomorrow for 8+ hours, what can I do for the birds? I feel so bad for them but I cant take them with me, so for now, what can I do to keep them entertained while we are gone? the budgies are going to be fine, I'm mostly worried about milo who's always always outside of his cage except for bed time.

thanks

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Make sure lots of food and water in case you are delayed coming home, lots of toys or foraging options, and maybe some music on. They will all be fine. enjoy your outing and don’t worry...we have left ours for a weekend with no issues, on a number of occasions...:heart:

BirdWorld

They should be fine. I’ve left mine for the day before, making sure to do everything @Birdie Mama said, and they obviously were fine. My only concern would be if he was flock calling you a lot, I wouldn’t want to put him through that. Does he stress out or flock call when he’s in the cage?

animalover

Jogging around the block
They should be fine. I’ve left mine for the day before, making sure to do everything @Birdie Mama said, and they obviously were fine. My only concern would be if he was flock calling you a lot, I wouldn’t want to put him through that. Does he stress out or flock call when he’s in the cage?
he only does when he sees me or hears me, so I think he would be fine

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I have a specific playlist I play on repeat of Caroline’s favourite songs. She really loves dancing around and doesn’t seem too lonely.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
...we have left ours for a weekend with no issues, on a number of occasions...
This is dangerous. Imagine a bird had a night fright, became caught and then needed to wait for days to be helped. At the very minimum you should have someone stop by daily.

I personally have my pet sitter come twice a day in the morning and evening. Even if I am gone one night. Money well spent when you know they are getting their fresh veggies, clean water, and knowing they are safe.

@animalover Keep in mind that your little one will be stressed, there is no easy fix to that. Try offering ample foraging toys. He may be grumpy the next day, which wouldn't be his fault. He will be ok though. In the meantime encourage independent play so he develops confidence playing alone. I would also ensure that he can see his budgie friends when you go so he doesn't feel alone. I am not sure how you organise your birds, maybe they already see each other :)

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Make sure lots of food and water in case you are delayed coming home, lots of toys or foraging options, and maybe some music on. They will all be fine. enjoy your outing and don’t worry...we have left ours for a weekend with no issues, on a number of occasions...:heart:
Although I agree with the toys water food etc. Leaving a bird alone over the weekend is very dangerous. I would only do 24 hrs at the absolute most without a pet sitter.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will do an overnight a few times a year max, but beyond that I have someone stop by :) I do an extra water dish just in case, leave a light on a timer, and give extra foraging toys.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also let a light on in case it gets dark before you get home. We turn the radio on, fill food & water dishes, make sure they have plenty of toys & let a light on.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Here's quite the tale: A friend was having a surprise birthday gathering for her spouse and invited a bunch o' folks on a 4 day cruise. My spousal unit and I were excited to go. We made all of the arrangements for our absence. Our pet sitter was going to look in on Gus and our older cat, Loki. We left, secure in the belief that all would be well upon our return.
In the meantime, our pet sitter had an accident that left her with a broken ankle and in the ER/hospital. We returned home to find unfed, untended creatures who were super excited we were home. We were super fortunate that no one ate anyone else (cat was dumb, so it would have probably been Gus eating Loki....). One star...not recommended!

Otherwise, we have left Gus and Max for not more than an 8 hour shift. They have music and a LixIt bottle of water just because I find those things a little reassuring. I have stuffed their cages with toys and foraging opportunities and what not (a friend who owns a zon says my little conures' cages are "ghetto"..whatever). I hope you have a nice time on your journey.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
my family and I are leaving the house tomorrow for 8+ hours, what can I do for the birds? I feel so bad for them but I cant take them with me, so for now, what can I do to keep them entertained while we are gone? the budgies are going to be fine, I'm mostly worried about milo who's always always outside of his cage except for bed time.

thanks
Cockatiels and budgies will be fine. I leave Parrot Town TV, or some kind of show, or radio for my birds to watch. Foraging toys are welcome. And leave the room light on if you get home late. I usually close the door to the bird room, when nobody's home.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Cockatiels and budgies will be fine. I leave Parrot Town TV, or some kind of show, or radio for my birds to watch. Foraging toys are welcome. And leave the room light on if you get home late. I usually close the door to the bird room, when nobody's home.
on? I was thinking about leaving them off and keep the curtains open, so when the sun sets the room becomes dark, meaning bed time, right??

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
on? I was thinking about leaving them off and keep the curtains open, so when the sun sets the room becomes dark, meaning bed time, right??
I usually leave it on, so nothing scares them, particularly me coming in. My birds get covered with a blanket at night.
I've never really thought about it that way. Hm. Do what you think is better.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Hello everyone! Just to be clear, when we have gone away, someone always has a key to our apt in case we are delayed. They are welcome to come over at any time to check and usually do. Mostly to make sure the water has not been dumped over. Our feeders hold 10 days worth of food and water that is dispensed through the bottom as needed. So far they have never needed to be filled while away, and I make sure there is no toy they can get caught in. Living in an apt the racket would also draw someone’s attention, and as I am the manager, I have to leave someone in charge and they also have a key to our place. So 2 different people have keys to get in...

guess I should have been more clear in above comment...sorry for giving the wrong impression or my comment being misleading...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve left finches overnight. Now that I have conures and macaws I get a friend to house sit for me when I’m gone.

animalover

Jogging around the block
everything went fine btw! my brother decided to stay home and played with the birds and put them to bed, and my dad was home last time too, but he traveled earlier this week and wont be home the next time we go, we will be going again on Tuesday, but this time to another city much farther away, and we will stay there for wayyy longer, the problem is, we will be leaving the house before 6am so Is it possible to wake the birds up then? we will get them to sleep earlier the night before too, but no one will take them out, or play with them, our maid will put them to bed so that's not a problem, is this fine? we will be home late at night as the drive is 2 hours, but yeah, thats it, no one will be home btw other than the maid.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am glad it went well.

Keep working on developing independent play and foraging. It will help! :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
everything went fine btw! my brother decided to stay home and played with the birds and put them to bed, and my dad was home last time too, but he traveled earlier this week and wont be home the next time we go, we will be going again on Tuesday, but this time to another city much farther away, and we will stay there for wayyy longer, the problem is, we will be leaving the house before 6am so Is it possible to wake the birds up then? we will get them to sleep earlier the night before too, but no one will take them out, or play with them, our maid will put them to bed so that's not a problem, is this fine? we will be home late at night as the drive is 2 hours, but yeah, thats it, no one will be home btw other than the maid.
All sounds fine to me