• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can our parrots go WITHOUT food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Emma escaped that was one of my many concerns. :(It turns out that a parrot her size can go without food for at least 2 days and maybe even more.:huh:

Now that my flock is safe and well, I find myself thinking about the many issues that raced through my mind last week.

I would imagine that smaller parrots would not be able to go as long without food. Do you guys have any thoughts or knowledge about this?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
With budgies almost every website says they can die within 48 hrs of no food or water

not sure on the bigger birds though

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I know the smaller bird and birds with higher metabolisms, like caiques, couldn't live very long without food. I would imagine the younger they are the less time they could be without too. I would like to hear more on this also.
I'm so glad you have Emma back!!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
All depends on the size, species (different metabolisms between parrots and lorikeets for example) and condition. The fatter the bird the longer it will be able to sustain itself. :)

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I would think if the bird were hungry enough and it was outdoors, it would eat leaves and stuff to keep itself from starving. Or would they have no clue because they've been indoor birds?!?!:confused: Yet, I would also think the will to survive would be so great, they would try to eat something in nature. Or as fearless Emma did, fly to the nearest potential food source! (not a chance with Gertie)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think if the bird were hungry enough and it was outdoors, it would eat leaves and stuff to keep itself from starving. Or would they have no clue because they've been indoor birds?!?!:confused: Yet, I would also think the will to survive would be so great, they would try to eat something in nature. Or as fearless Emma did, fly to the nearest potential food source! (not a chance with Gertie)
Monica, I would think that if they didn't "recognize" something as food, they wouldn't eat it.:) I think that would be a survival mechanism. I think eating would only happen when they became EXTREMELY hungry and desperate.
I also think that we all *think* we know how our parrot would react if out there on their own but we don't really know anything. :huh:They really are alot hardier than we imagine.

Last week, I was imagining that Emma was scared, freaking out and in a panic. Hand raised and no skills to deal with the outside world she was probably very stressed out. Today, I am NOT sure that she experienced any of that. Part of me thinks she may have even experienced a sort of rush and excitement due to the new sights and sudden freedom. I think when they're out there they do what they need to survive and just go with the flow of things. :eek:

Last edited:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Monica, I would think that if they didn't "recognize" something as food, they wouldn't eat it.:) I think that would be a survival mechanism. I think eating would only happen when they became EXTREMELY hungry and desperate.

:eek:
I think you would be surprised to know it can be the exact opposite!

We have friends that had a B&G escape years ago. He stayed in the general area, a huge forested tract of land beside a lake.

When we went to give 'moral support' and be an extra set of eyes, we all observed him on Day 2 - by that time, he was very hungry - eating all the new shoots at ends of the branches of the fir trees. We believe he was also consuming tiny new seed cones.

He flew across to a pine tree and did the same.
Although he'd never had access to those types of living food, he was in survival mode and ate what he could forage.

We lost sight of him that day.
On Day 4, we assume he finally grew tired of eating nothing but foliage and cones; he eventually flew down to a lower branch and his people were able to bring him home.

His feet, his beak and his tail feathers were covered in pitch from all the trees.

To sum up, he did not starve, he found unfamiliar things to eat in order to survive.
Those new shoots would have also provided moisture. It was extremely hot when he flew off.

After watching that B&G, it was obvious that instinct takes over - no matter how strange the tree shoots, needles and tiny new seed cones were to him - he ate them in order to survive.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you would be surprised to know it can be the exact opposite!

We have friends that had a B&G escape years ago. He stayed in the general area, a huge forested tract of land beside a lake.

When we went to give 'moral support' and be an extra set of eyes, we all observed him on Day 2 - by that time, he was very hungry - eating all the new shoots at ends of the branches of the fir trees. We believe he was also consuming tiny new seed cones.

He flew across to a pine tree and did the same.
Although he'd never had access to those types of living food, he was in survival mode and ate what he could forage.

We lost sight of him that day.
On Day 4, we assume he finally grew tired of eating nothing but foliage and cones; he eventually flew down to a lower branch and his people were able to bring him home.

His feet, his beak and his tail feathers were covered in pitch from all the trees.

To sum up, he did not starve, he found unfamiliar things to eat in order to survive.
Those new shoots would have also provided moisture. It was extremely hot when he flew off.

After watching that B&G, it was obvious that instinct takes over - no matter how strange the tree shoots, needles and tiny new seed cones were to him - he ate them in order to survive.
Wow! :huh: That's very interesting. So glad that story ended well.:)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Doris that was really interesting to know.I know here in Florida there are flcoks of parakeets who were originally escapees.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Thanks Doris that was really interesting to know.I know here in Florida there are flcoks of parakeets who were originally escapees.
Marian,
one of the members here from Florida has posted pictures of the wild flocks of macaws.
Your climate and plant life seems to sustain them...I can't recall if she said people set out food for them or not.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Archie and Ella are convinced that going more than 6 hours without a fresh meal is certain death.

No but seriously, I believe birds like that macaw have a baser instinct that kicks in. Its ingrained in their genetic code, and I would think its just as necessary and involuntary for them to forage and find food as blinking our eyes is to us.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My rule is no more than 48 hours since the last time their bowl was full. 48 hours becomes an emergency. If we're stuck out of town and can't get in touch with someone with a key, 48 hours is the point where we'll have someone break in.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
When Charlie (Cockatiel) escaped, he went without food (and water) for 3 days. By looking at his beak you could just tell, their beak grows rapidly when they haven't eaten.

DDSF.JPG

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Most captives birds that get loose die, not because of predators, but from dehydration and not being conditioned to the outdoor temperatures.

I think longer than 12 hours is a long time without food. More than 24 is extreme. My birds get fed twice a day. And snacks in-between(through foraging).

Status
Not open for further replies.