• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how long can my cockatiel be alone?

kcajson

Checking out the neighborhood
i've never had a cockatiel and i usually have school during weekdays for 6-7 hours a day. i heard if they're at home alone for a period of time they can get stressed and stuff. would it be fine if i'm gone for that amount of time and come home and immediately take my bird out and talk/play with them?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If you give him enough enrichment and foraging opportunities I think it Will be fine:) but.. Well I would think really long before adopting one, they are a load of work! I don't know you of course, but I just want to prepare you for the joy or horror of being owned by a bird so you make the right decision!:) You Will have to take care of him every single day, for years to Come. You Will not be able to just decide to go on a roadtrip for example. He needs you, so you have to interact with him every day, are you sure you Will have the time? I do not know if you already have a lot of homework but that Will take up a big amount of your time most likely. Also when you go to college/university/what comes after your secondary education Will you be able to bring him with you? He Will be with you for years, I once met a 30 year old cockatiel, that is a pretty long time. Even if you were to adopt a ten year-old for example he might still be with you for 10+ years. I adopted a cockatiel when I was 14 and I figured it out, now I am 17 and have two lovebirds, so it can be done and they are the joy of my life! But it is not really easy and sometimes I still think it was stupid to bring home birds, but I have figured everything out so far and they Will Come with me to my appartement/small house when I go to uni next year:) I wish you a lot of succes and I hope you make the right decision!

MangotheBirdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carly
I think if you let the bird out for the rest of the evening when you get home he will be fine. But most definitely don't let him be alone for longer than that. <3

Mommy of Mango the Cockatiel

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
My birds have enjoyed having a bird mirror in the cage. They think it's another bird. They do bond with it, but all of our birds also bonded with us. It would keep your little one much happier. Mine like to sleep next to it, and play with it. Also get the bird a bell to play with, that will keep him amused.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Honestly, I'm would suggest getting a second bird.
Birds in the wild are never alone. Ever. They are prey animals, and if they are alone, they don't just get bored and lonely - they are afraid for their lives. That kind of stress is not healthy. Sure, doing stuff like leaving a radio on can help, but it is not the same as having another bird in the room. (They might eventually become cage mayes, but in the beginning they should have separate cages).
Having two birds is also the best way to avoid problem behaviors, such as screaming.
If you want your bird to be as happy as possible given the circumstances, I would say get another bird of the same species.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
My birds have enjoyed having a bird mirror in the cage. They think it's another bird. They do bond with it, but all of our birds also bonded with us. It would keep your little one much happier. Mine like to sleep next to it, and play with it. Also get the bird a bell to play with, that will keep him amused.
I would tred with caution with a mirror. Mirrors can sometimes lead to territorial or aggressive behavior.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Honestly, I'm would suggest getting a second bird.
Birds in the wild are never alone. Ever. They are prey animals, and if they are alone, they don't just get bored and lonely - they are afraid for their lives. That kind of stress is not healthy. Sure, doing stuff like leaving a radio on can help, but it is not the same as having another bird in the room. (They might eventually become cage mayes, but in the beginning they should have separate cages).
Having two birds is also the best way to avoid problem behaviors, such as screaming.
If you want your bird to be as happy as possible given the circumstances, I would say get another bird of the same species.
I'll second that. Birds are never naturally alone. Especially Flock species which is what a cockatiel is.

Mirrors are a poor substitute for a real friend. And they cause more trouble than they do good.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
So I am going to dissent here. Don't get a second bird UNLESS you actually want two cockatiels. There is no guarantee that the two will get along, and with two birds you are looking at double the expenses, including potentially two separate cages. A number of us keep single 'tiels without an issue.

That being said, if you can't devote at least several hours a day to spend with your 'tiel, I wouldn't get one or two or a flock. You also will need to be prepared to more or less maintain a schedule. A large enough cage and foraging opportunities will also be important.

Here's my other question, how old are you and what is your living situation? A 'tiel is a long-term commitment. They can and do live several decades, and if you are in school, you need to have a clear idea of what is going to happen once you graduate. It's not fair to anybody if you have a 'tiel now, have it bond to you, and then leave it (even with family), because life changes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I was still in college when I got my first tiel. He enjoyed climbing on me while I did my homework. A lot of times I read it to him then asked him for the answer. LOL

I think you will fall in love with your tiel and as long as you remember your commitment to him and don't leave him alone day after day (I am talking about in the after school hours) he will be fine. Toys and foraging for the hours you are away are great ideas.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
Hi. I just want to mention, our family always had one parakeet, who had a mirror and a bell, other toys too, and was allowed out of cage time to play. Thru the years they all bonded with us, and our birds never have had any signs of aggression. We now have cockatiels (we had just one at first, then 2, now they have 3 babies. They also are bonded with us and each other. I think you just have to do what seems to keep your bird happy, content and not bored. The mirror happens to work for our birds and has for over 50 years.

Darlajean

Checking out the neighborhood
My cockatiel won't step up anymore and she runs from me