• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can I leave my green cheek alone?

Norintha

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm considering getting a part time job but it's very likely that my husband and I will be at work at the same time, leaving our green cheek by herself for a few hours each day. I usually let her out and interact with her all day. Can I leave her alone when I'm at work? I don't want to stress her.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Birds very much enjoy their free time when they don't have to entertain their humans all the time.

Go out, get a job, enjoy your life! Your birds will be grateful if you do.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Birds very much enjoy their free time when they don't have to entertain their humans all the time.

Go out, get a job, enjoy your life! Your birds will be grateful if you do.
I agree. Norintha, if you really do spend all day with your bird, you might start putting her in her cage for a couple of hours every day to accustom her to entertaining herself. I tell my children that learning to entertain oneself is an important life skill for a happy life, and I believe the same about our birds. :p

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
On a daily basis, they can be left alone for work hours (8 hours or so) and will be ok, although it's a good idea to get an extra large cage, place it where she has a view out a window, and possibly leave a radio or white noise machine on if the house is really quiet if she will be alone that much. And of course, you should try to have her out when you are home so she can interact with you or play on a playstand.
It IS important that you get her used to being left alone gradually. Suddenly being left alone during the day when she expects people to be around is very stressful, so you should start with leaving her for an hour and go from there. If she doesn't forage much, you can also start trying to hide a few treats around her cage when you leave.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I work full time and do all of the things listed above--cage with a view, radio, toys, etc. My guys get four hours out when I get home. On the weekends, I try to keep to some schedule so they get 4 to 6 hours out starting in the afternoon but stay in their cage in the day still. They play, snooze and eat. I do have two GCCs though so they keep each other company. Part-time hours should not be a problem if you gradually work up to getting a schedule going.