• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long can a lovebird be kept in a cage?

bird1559

Moving in
I currently let my lovebird out maybe 4-5 hours a day, but I’ll be going overseas for about 3 weeks and leaving my bird with my brother. I don’t know if my brother is going to let my bird out of the cage on a daily basis (he’s very opposed to the idea).

What is the absolute limit for the number of days a lovebird can stay in a cage? Thank you.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I know this isn't the question you asked, but I wouldn't ask someone who's never handled my bird outside of its cage to let it out all of a sudden while I'm gone.

When do you leave? Do you have time to teach your brother how to do this-- how to handle the bird--and observe this for several days before you leave? If he is still resistant after several days of training and supervision, I wouldn't ask him to let the bird out.

If he's opposed to the idea, is he going to watch it while it's out, will he know how to get the bird back into its cage safely, will be capable of competently handling the bird in an emergency?