• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long are molts?

Glitterbug

Moving in
My cockatiel started molting in early Jan. About 1 week ago, he looked done, but the past 2 days, he started dropping large feathers again. I just watched him today, preening his tail feathers and one fell out. Is this the same ongoing molt or another one? This is my first time observing a molt on a bird. He's 20+ years old. Thanks!

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Ummm....I’m not an expert on cockatiels or birds, but I do know conures pretty well. Here’s an article on molts:
Here it is

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
When did you get him? They are always loosing feathers, but it's just heavier during a moult. Have you owned him through a moult before? Moults shouldn't last much longer than 3 months at most, If it continues it could be health related.

Glitterbug

Moving in
Ummm....I’m not an expert on cockatiels or birds, but I do know conures pretty well. Here’s an article on molts:
Here it is
Thanks

When did you get him? They are always loosing feathers, but it's just heavier during a moult. Have you owned him through a moult before? Moults shouldn't last much longer than 3 months at most, If it continues it could be health related.
Oh ok I see. I didn't know they normally lose feathers here and there. I just get surprised when I see a large one. I got him in Oct 2020, this is my first experience. But yes, when he started, there was A LOT.
Thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My birds drop a few little feathers each most weeks but at the moment they’re both starting a big moult. It kinda looks like someone opened a feather pillow up and tipped out the contents around one of my cages and the other one looks like my bird exploded lol.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a cockatoo a rescued from a bad situation, and once that bird was on a healthier diet, he molted for over six months. All molts are different, and an improvement in diet can often extend molts because the body now has the energy and nutrients to replace feathers that might not have been replaced for a long time. Also, other things influence molts, like lighting.