• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how long are babies meant to sleep?

aethers

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place haha
I've just gotten a new baby musk lorikeet, and I'm getting a bit nervous about how long he sleeps for. He's practically slept the whole day today, I folded up the bottom of my sweatshirt and made a pouch for him. He's been in there napping for almost the entire day.
I've been waking him up every few hours so I can feed him because he doesn't wake up on his own. When he's awake, he's lively and active, but as soon as I put him back into his warm and dark little pouch, his eyelids start drooping instantly and he goes back to sleep. His eyes and poop are all pretty normal but I'm not sure if it's normal to be sleeping this much? I feel like if I didn't wake him up he could sleep 24 hours straight.

The person I got him from said that he's fully weaned, but I'm not too sure so I'm still giving him some rearing formula as well as normal lorikeet mix.
We got him a couple days ago, and he was pretty stressed out when he came to us. Could he just be catching up on sleep from then?

I've worked with birds this age before (albeit of different species) and they've slept a lot more than adult birds but never non-stop like this baby. I was hoping to get some info tonight on whether this is normal or should be a concern. If it's out of the norm, I'll be making an appointment tomorrow to try and get a checkup.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and answers!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he?

A fully weaned baby shouldn't be sleeping all day IMO

aethers

The breeder told us around 2 months, but they aren't sure because he was born in their aviary.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it were my bird, I would be scheduling a vet visit. At 2 months they should be climbing and exploring. Frequent naps are one thing, sleeping all day is totally not normal

aethers

Thank you for your answer : ) I'll try and get him an appointment for tomorrow, hopefully he's alright