• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long after cleaning oven is it safe?

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hi guys!
So I know selfcleaning ovens are extremely dangerous and deadly for our little birdies.
I just finished cooking and I am extremely tired and instead of turning the oven off I somehow put the temperature at Cleaning and the selector at bake. It took me a good 10 minutes to notice and now I am freaking out.
I dont think the oven got hot enough to be risky for my little lovebird Skittles but I took no chance and opened all windows and started the fan on the stove.
Now Im wondering do you guys think I should move her as far away from the kitchen for tonight or do you think its safe?
Ive never used the cleaning option on the oven since I have birds, but Im wondering if I were to use it one day (and take my birds to my sister for that day) how long before I could take skittles back home? Are we taking hours here or days?
Thanks for the help!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were you, I’d move her as far away as possible.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats what I did of course. She seems ok this morning. I wonder if its ok now to put her back in her spot or if I should wait a day or so
Good, glad to hear that. Did you have any fans on inside to evacuate any remaining fumes while your windows were open? She’s probably okay back in her regular spot, but if you can wait another day to move her back, it wouldn’t hurt.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Good, glad to hear that. Did you have any fans on inside to evacuate any remaining fumes while your windows were open? She’s probably okay back in her regular spot, but if you can wait another day to move her back, it wouldn’t hurt.
I didnt see any fumes. The oven was on for 10 minutes so didnt get the chance to get too hot! But as a precautionary measure I put a fan on and opened all windows in the apartment. Can never be too safe.