• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How is Pasteurella transmitted to avians?

Marie&friends

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marie
My rabbit has been diagnosed with Pasteurella and now I am paranoid about my parrot. He doesn't interact with her really, but usually he does fly down to eat on the floor when they have a salad (I make him his own plate and put it in the floor a ways away from the rabbits, but he likes to feel like he's flock eating). However, I know it can be transmitted to other rabbits via clothing, shoes or not washing hands after handling an infected rabbit.

The only info I can find on parrots however is "if your bird is bitten by a dog or cat, they should be treated for Pasteurella" - can they get it the same way you can give it to other rabbits? Or does it have to enter their blood from an injury?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think the only way your parrot can get it is through saliva or blood. You should be ok if your rabbit doesn't interact with your parrot. I would wash your hands thoroughly after handling your rabbit just to be safe.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be extremely cautious allowing your bird and rabbit to interact in the same area. Pasteurella can be transferred on the floor areas, on food particles dropped, etc... and if your bird comes in contact it can be deadly to your bird. Not to mention, if you hold your rabbit against you and then hold your bird without washing well it can be transferred. I urge you to use good handwashing and sterile procedures while your rabbit is positive for Pasteurella and to wash your floor often.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I would also be worried about the rabbit potentially aerosolizing the disease if they sneeze when the bird is near. I would certainly keep them apart while your bunny is being treated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, a parrot can contract Pasteurella by contact. Pasteurella is often deadly for parrots and they have few defenses.

Please keep your rabbits and parrot separated and use hospital level hygiene practices.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm just curious about our cats and dogs then who carry pasteurella naturally. We don't worry about them except for in the case of a bite or scratch. I was under the impression that it has to actually get into the blood stream for it to be dangerous. My Conure liked to sneak out into the kitchen and bathe in my cat's water dish despite whatever I did to stop her. We never had a problem and I even asked my vet about it and while he said it probably wasn't the greatest thing to happen, transfer of pasteurella wasn't incredibly worrisome because it wasn't likely to get into my Conure's blood stream that way. Of course, it wasn't encouraged!:)

I'm not saying don't be careful, I'm more curious about whether or not a pasteurella infection is different in a rabbit versus the natural pasteurella that our cats and dogs always carry.