• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How... [Injured Owl Finch]

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
I was going through my morning routine and noticed an owl finch (Oliza) roosting on the ground of the aviary. Obviously, that's not good, so I made sure she could fly away, and when she did, I went about my routine thinking all was well. Like, ten minutes later (while feeding the parrotlets) I noticed she was limping and pointedly not perching on one of her feet. I've had finches with feet injuries before, so I'm like -_- "fml"

After I finally catch her, I notice that there's a human hair wrapped around her foot and toes, embedded into her skin in several places and cutting off circulation. Like. I did NOT know this could happen. I feel so bad. D: Every time I think I've found a way to protect them from injury, more things happen!

I managed to get it off with tweezers and patience, but I'm very worried for her. Her toes were a little crusty and the joint is swollen, but there's no blackness. I put antibiotic cream on the entire foot and put her into a small 'hospital cage' I keep for emergencies. The vet isn't open today, so I'm currently just watching and waiting to see how she does.

[I put her mate with her because they were both panicking at being separated. If he causes issues for her recovery, I'll remove him.]

Anyone ever had something like this happen??

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she feels better. Scary all the things we have to worry about with our birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sort of like this my vet told me a story of a bird she treated for a lower leg issue where by dental floss was wrapped around the lower leg cutting off circulation. This is why we should never let a companion bird walk around on the floor or a home where humans live. We drop things or miss the trash can. I hope the finches leg heals.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Terrifying! I’m always panicked about that, I know babies and monkeys have had amputations due to hair cutting off circulation for too long. I hope she is okay and you caught it fast and without any damage being done

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
It happens alot over here in Australia with breeding cup nesting finches (greenfinches, singer, siskins), as alot of them require cotton wool to form nests, as well as horse hair, but it can easily be prevented
Cheers
Noah Till

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Update! She's been to the vet! The vet was able to quickly determine that there was additional fibers cutting off circulation around a toe still, and that she'd already lost a different toe before I ever intervened (since it was gone and healed over).

I love this vet, y'all. He did an amazing job of removing all the fibers and really knows his field. Blood loss was a concern because it was so embedded that she was bleeding during the procedure, but she pulled through. Sadly, there may have been nerve damage. She's no longer refusing to use her hurt foot, but she's using it as more of a club than anything else. We will see if she uses it to grip again once she's done healing.

She's on metacam and enro, and she's doing great. :)

I have no idea what the foreign fibers were. I know I removed a human hair, but for there to also be fibers is just so weird. Needless to say I'm keeping an eye on the other finches as well.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Wonderful. I am glad she is on the mend! :)