• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How I feel when I read a disturbing post...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I don't even watch the news anymore. None of it is good. I listen to the weather, that's about it.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
I know exactly what you mean, Dona. Especially about Highway to Heaven, with a loss from our fellow roadies with their fids. In times of offering support and comfort in grieving circumstances...with accidents sometimes you hold your tongue but also know they happen, and posts about losing a senior bird touches the rhythms the most that are felt. Words cannot be spoken which is why the Hug emoticons are here. There's only so much to focus on that that one thing is narrowed on can be draining. I only get in that section once in awhile for example or happen to see a post in the active threads. It was on another forum a few years ago (Reddit, I think) that a tiel was posted...after it passed! That was it for me to not see anything else as I mostly lurked anyway. What's getting me lately is just seeing downright bad reviews on certain bird foods claiming ''it'll kill your bird'' while other reviews have fed the food for 20 years.

Watching or see the news, bad news all the time but some good is balanced in. I'm glad to hear more good ones this time of year. Animal ones get me the most which make me love on mine even more. Sometimes you just have to step away and there's nothing wrong with that.

:christmas3:

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
There's a limited series on Netflix and I hate how they play a preview if you're just hovering on it. This one I accidentally saw yesterday and it still is bothering me. So, no, no you are not the only one who is extra sensitive, and it sucks!
I started watching the series you’re talking about... very sad..

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There were some very tough threads this month. Blocking a section is definitely smarter than reading them too often and finding yourself in a dark place.

I think it is hard in a forum sometimes, because you don't know if your words resonant or if people understand what you are trying to convey. I always empathise so greatly with people experiencing loss. Sadly part of loving sets us up for heartbreak...

You have so much love to give out @Dona ! Keep it coming in the sections that empower you to feel safe and steady! :)

Emotes are definitely helpful!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:hug9:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If a section bothers you, you can always use the ignore function to ignore that section of the forum so that you do not have to see the threads.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Dona, I’m right there with you as well! I sometimes feel like I don’t know what’s going on in the world these days, because for the last few years I quit watching the news. Too many awful stories of things happening to kids, animals etc

I also scramble for the remote when I hear Sarah come on!

I’ve started reading news stories that I’m interested in online, so I can search for what I want instead of hearing some awful story of abuse thrown in and making me ball my eyes out and have nightmares.

You do bring up a valid point though- wanting to give members condolences in their time of need. That’s the reason I don’t block it. But sometimes, it’s hard:(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have the Controversial Animal Topics forum ignored

and Birdytalk Playhouse :shh:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I try to read the thread titles very carefully, I don't ignore it as I feel if a friend looses a bird unless I'm (on the real life side) I don't want to miss sending my regrets. I've gotten way too attached to others & their floof's. That being said, I often avoid the bad side of things as I don't want to end up down a bad rabbit hole either.

I have been avoiding the same thread @faislaq mentioned because I cannot cope w/ much of what gets posted there. I still often accidentally will look @ a thread under that title but usually cannot get past the 2nd post before I have to back out. I've seen & read about enough bad animal happenings to last 10 people a lifetime. I've had 2 people in my life that worked for the SPCA. Enough said there I guess.

@Dona :bluhug: