• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How EFFECTIVE are window fans for Cooling down a room?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I'd like to purchase one of these for Sachi and Thomas's room for during the day. Don't know much about them and whether I'd be able to find one that fits and can be mounted in our window. I also wonder whether they are worth the money? I know some love their Box fans too and I don't know much about those too. Thanks for sharing.:)

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i have used window fans and found them to be really great. they work in one of two ways. if its extra ordinarliy hot out, you turn the fan facing out and put another, maybe box fan, at a diff door way leading into the room. this pulls the warm air out of the room and pushes it out. the fan in the doorway actually helps to create the cross breeze.

if it cooler outside than inside you do the opposite, it still creates the cross breeze but instead of pushing the hot air outside, it pulls cool air in from outside.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have window fans in many of my rooms. LOVE THEM!! Mine can also exhaust air to the outside, which I love when cleaning. They're pretty much standard, and can fit almost any window.

Snoop around Amazon, that's where I got mine, usually very good pricing.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Before moving to the land of the air conditioners, I had a box fan. I don't like it too cold in the house, but I HATE when it's stuffy and humid, which was often in PA. I had a box fan in each window and I would alternate facing in and facing out. It kept it comfortable (for me) and decreased the stuffiness.

I also found them useful when cooking. I despise my house to smell like food so, when I would cook, I would point them all out so my house wouldn't smell like food for hours.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used nothing but fans so far this summer. I don't think it's hot enough for A/C until it gets into the mid nineties. :) Fans don't do a lot of cooling in hot weather except in the evening after the sun goes down (to bring the evening air in), but they do provide air circulation and keep the rooms more comfortable.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek: Wow! So you guys all endorse window fans? I need to go shopping for these. How do you keep the bugs out? Do bugs come in?:)

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:eek: Wow! So you guys all endorse window fans? I need to go shopping for these. How do you keep the bugs out? Do bugs come in?:)
I had screens in the windows and the fans were inside of the screens.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep I have a couple! I use them with screens in also.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I also recommend window fans. Not just for the heat but to help air quality! Air purifiers are great but they don't prevent stale air.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I need to go see these fans in person. I'm curious about how they can be installed correctly without falling out of the window and not hurting someone who is down below.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Oh, they won't fall out if you put them in correctly. The window ACs don't fall out if put in right (thankfully! Yes, I know there have been deaths from falling ACs but I would bet either someone didn't put them in right or the window itself was old or defective).

I don't need to use window fans often as this is the county of the wind here so cross breezes are petty much going strong. But, I'm also an AC freak and admit it's on now because it's very humid.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I have rather deep sills that accommodate the fans I put in windows. The second reason I use them is I am a very light sleeper. Any noise will wake me up, then it's torture trying to get back to sleep. So the fan acts as white noise. The problem is manufacturers think everybody wants fans to be silent, and they now have the technology to make them nearly so. So I look around.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I asked them and they said they keep the air set to 78, but it was much cooler with the fans.
That makes sense. The fans were helping to circulate cool air that was already existing.

On another note, I can't believe this actually works but it does.

I placed my fan by the window facing out and somehow this has helped not only to bring cooler room into the room but also increased air circulation.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Saemma I just thought of something and I hope it doesn't come across wrong because I really enjoy your inquisitive posts, but sometimes your questions remind me of that old TV show where the people came from outer space and were trying to fit in with humans. They were so fascinated with things we take for granted. I can't think of the darn show. Jane Curtain was in it.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma I just thought of something and I hope it doesn't come across wrong because I really enjoy your inquisitive posts, but sometimes your questions remind me of that old TV show where the people came from outer space and were trying to fit in with humans. They were so fascinated with things we take for granted. I can't think of the darn show. Jane Curtain was in it.
The Cone Heads? :eek: :lol:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

:eek:

:laughing6: No offense taken. .

Your post is quite funny though and I never realized I came across that way. Perhaps I'll start censoring myself.:p