• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How EFFECTIVE are window fans for Cooling down a room?

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
No, I don't think it was the coneheads. There were 4 of them and they lived in an upstairs apartment. The young, tall female dated a heavyset rent a cop. John Lithgow maybe. My brain is failing me. Wait, got it: 3rd Rock from the Sun! The loved all our cool stuff!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma I just thought of something and I hope it doesn't come across wrong because I really enjoy your inquisitive posts, but sometimes your questions remind me of that old TV show where the people came from outer space and were trying to fit in with humans. They were so fascinated with things we take for granted. I can't think of the darn show. Jane Curtain was in it.
Third rock from the sun :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Third rock from the sun, very very funny. We mostly try to use those dual fan ones that fit in just about any style window. You can set them for intake or exhuast and some have a thermostat.We also have one of those big pofrtable rolling air conditioners that keeps the main living area nice and cool and also fits about any type of window.
We used to use a small window air conditioner and the fans but our new house has even smaller casement style slider windows that aren't wide enough to let the two I have fit anymore:mad:
They need at least 23 inches width to fit and all the ones I have now are 19" fully open. Wish we had central air and a heat pump then I wouldn't know so much about this stuff:rolleyes:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

:eek:

:laughing6: No offense taken. .

Your post is quite funny though and I never realized I came across that way. Perhaps I'll start censoring myself.:p
DO NOT censor yourself EVER! I enjoy your posts :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah, okay, yeah, Third Rock was funny :) Aliens and Jane Curtain, though, bound to conjure up the Coneheads :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:rofl: YOu all are so funny! I couldn't view the Coneheads clip due to geographical location, yet found the link below and like it enough to see if I can find the movie. :D The third rock from the sun clip was pretty funny too and I *think* I get what you are all referring too. Yup! :o: The more I learn the more I realize there's so much more to learn about and I don't mind asking the questions.:) Thanks guys!! Would have never known that these shows existed without all of you.:lol:Btw.. after I serve birdie breakfast I'll be running over to the hardware store next door to check out window fans in person.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Saemma, you dont have to get the square fans that can be put into a window. You can get a floor fan with the round top. And just place it near a window:)

For the ones in the window, you put it in, before the screen, so inside the house. And close the window until it touches the fan. It shouldn't fall out.

The square ones or the round ones 1ft from the window, works:)

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
I use one to exhaust air from the utility room (which is the cat room also).

They are pretty good at getting a room cool ONLY if the air outside is cooler than the inside. Otherwise you'd be pulling that hot air in.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma, you dont have to get the square fans that can be put into a window. You can get a floor fan with the round top. And just place it near a window:)

For the ones in the window, you put it in, before the screen, so inside the house. And close the window until it touches the fan. It shouldn't fall out.

The square ones or the round ones 1ft from the window, works:)
Thanks Mercedez.:) I purchased one of those twin window fans this morning but didn't really like the job it did when I tested it out. In fact it seemed pretty weak when compared to my Bionaire stainless steel fan, so I returned it.:cool:

While I was back at the hardware store, I actually saw a fan that I really liked so I bought it and even found at the cash register that it was on sale too! Sor far it seems great, pretty quiet and even though the air conditioner isn't on, the temperature and air feels quite comfortable in here. YOu are right about the importance of air circulation I completely agree. :D Ok, I don't think I need any more fans. We're good for now.:lol:

Here's some more info..

Last edited by a moderator:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
OMG a Lasko fan. I have to tell you a story. My husband and I used to own/operate a large sailboat that we used as a dockside attraction vessel. There was a promoter/sponsor who asked us not to do an event at a port near to Cleveland because she wanted us to be "new" in the area when we brought the vessel to Cleveland. In an effort to convince us she said she had a benefactor who wanted to sponsor a ship and if he chose us, he would make it worth our while to not appear at this other event. Very odd, but I was willing to talk.

So, this guy, Admiral Lasko, called me and asked for a meeting. I explained that we were available to meet anytime except a particular 5 day period when Gary would be in California. So when does the guy show up? Right after Gary left for California. I had some crew on board with me and they listened to me talk to this guy, who was very full of himself (IMO). The first thing he asked was if we had heard of Lasko fans because that was his family's business. The second was to present me with a picture of the USS Constitution sailing. That ship never sails and I commented on that. He said they did for him because he was a retired Admiral. He was missing a toe and told my crew that he lost it in the Viet Nam war when he was tortured. He asked a lot of weird questions considering he was a retired admiral.

After his very odd visit a couple of the crew said they thought I was a bit rude to him. I explained to them that my neck hairs were standing up the entire time he was there and I was just protecting my interests. I said if he turned out to be legit I would be the first to admit I was wrong about him. I recounted the visit to the promoter who was very upset with me. She said I made a huge mistake. She asked me not to talk about him in front of any of the other ship owners because he was a very important man who was going to make a huge contribution to the sailing community.

Fast forward a month or so. The guy was arrested at the Grand Prix of Cleveland when he hopped into a car and took off with it, claiming he was a reknowned Grand Prix racer! He was then returned to the institution he had been living in off and on for a couple years. The promoter called me a day or so later and was very embarrassed to tell me I had been correct about him. Lasko was not at all who she thought he was and she had allowed him to attend two annual meetings, introducing him as a retired admiral blah, blah, blah.

I still chuckle when I see Lasko fans. Oh, and Rose and LaFitte sailed with us for a couple years when they were young and we lived aboard.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award